[icon-discuss] Re: Using 160 gig external flash drive

  • From: Kevin Jones <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:28:06 -0600

another option is if near a c power use a powered usb hub it would power the flashdrive and also let the icon use it. The problem with flash drives though is they can only be written to about 100000 times, that is each sector but reading is unlimited.

Julie Stamm wrote:
U have a western digital passport 160gb hard drive its about the size of a
deck of playing cards and a little thinner. Got it at Costco. I tried to
hook it up to the icon, but the thing cant draw enough power through the USB
port. On the wd website, there is a special cord you can purchase to combat
the issue of low power, but it simply can plug into TWO of the computer's
USB ports. I don't know if this approach will solve the power drain problem
with the icon. If it could be plugged into an ac outlet I'm guessing it
would work as the 320gb drive did
Best
Julie