[icon-discuss] Unzipping files from console or explorer.

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman.singer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:53:35 -0500

Hi.
        I posted the message below a few months ago now. It may be of some
assistance for those who want to unzip using file explorer. I have attempted
to use this method with the unrar application, but have not been able to do
so.
        Aman

Hi.
        There are two ways to unzip files on the units. The first is to go
into the console (6, 9 from the main menu), log in, change to the directory
where the zip file resides, and simply type
Unzip filename.zip
        You can, of course, provide a full file path and name.
        The second method, which I find easier, is to do it from explorer.
I've done this by adding an xml to the /usr/share/icon/startmenu folder on
the flash disk. The XML is called
levelstar-unzip.xml
It's a modification of the Levelstar music player application XML, and reads
as follows

<application ID="levelstar-media" version="1.0">
        <launch title="_unzipper" path="unzip"
ID="levelstar-unzipper-launch-1" acceptedFileExtensions="zip"
locationPriority="8"/>
</application>

        Now, when I hit enter on a zip file while in File Explorer, the file
is uncompressed to the flash disk. I can then go and open the uncompressed
files as usual. I've been using this for several days without trouble, but
your mileage may well vary. Further, I wouldn't expand a huge file in this
second way, given that it is put on the flash disk. It would be nice if one
could have the file extracted to one's directory in File Explorer, and
really nice if File Explorer would create a temporary directory, extract the
zip files to it, and then take you there so you could look at them as if
they are folders, but I have seen no method to do this.
        HTH.
        Aman