[icon-discuss] Re: Small external speakers

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:18:08 -0400

Jane,

Imagine really good speakers with no bass.  They do sound really quite good
for being only a cube about 1.5" x 1.5" complete.  They render music on the
Icon very nicely, and voice extremely good.  For what they cost, and for
what they are meant to be, they are excellent. That is, *it* is excellent.
:-)

Now, if you want some *reeally* good PORTABLE speakers for real... a set
that doesn't just pop onto the top of your Icon and sit in your vest pocket
so neatly LIKE THE ITEM ABOVE... listeN to the JBL On Tour Portable Speaker
System. It is a very good sounding unit. Fantastic even. This little box
will fill a room with warm wonderful sound. The bass is still not really
there, but the overall sound from lows to highs is balanced beautifully and
controlled as you go from lower output to louder output.  They were $129
which was pretty high. I saw them on Amazon for $79 and decided to buy
them... it's really an it also, just one piece. Anyway, when I put through
the order, it went into my shopping cart at $59.95.  This was just great by
me.  I had two complaints only with this set. The cover case is not made to
fit the AC adaptor, but you can fit it in there with a little work. The
batteries last a good long time though.  The second thing I don't like is
you can't fold up the unit with the power plugged in, or with the Icon
plugged in. Not that you would want to do this... but it is designed for
sleek artistic value, and not for utilitarian reasons. It is quite nice,
sort of curved and ultra modern. Very well made, but so is everything by
JBL.

Sorry for the full review on something you didn't even ask about... but it
seems like you want great sound and portability instead  of pretty
reasonable sound and super portability.

John

P.S. - I also bought the little 1" cube speaker from China. It came with an
extremely cool USB adaptor that I use for *everything else I own, but the
sound is not very good... almost not even good enough for voice... but in a
pinch, they would be fine.  They also come with an 8" cable to plug the Icon
in instead of just popping the thing on top of the Icon. So for the $4 bucks
they cost, the two accessories were *well* worth the price. I bought 4 of
them!  :-)

John