[icon-discuss] Re: Question for all BraillePLUS owners;also gettingsome window-shopping time with th

  • From: "MICHAEL MCCARTY" <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:42:04 -0400

I have used both the iCon and Braille+ and I like both units, but love the
Braille+.  Now, one could easily say that I work for APH, so naturally, I'm
going to love the Braille+, but that's not the only reason.

I can successfully use the braille keys and have no difficulty writing
documents while traveling.  Now, granted, I wouldn't want to write a novel with
the thing, but for replying to email and taking notes during a meeting, it
works fine for me.  I love the "v" design of the braille keys, to have done it
any other way would have caused the wrists to be turned in and would be very
uncomfortable after some time.

I travel with the Braille+ all the time and have put it in my dress pants front
pocket, in my sutecoat pockets, and have had no issues with the size of the
unit or the way it feels while in the pockets.

I love the multi-tasking aspects of the units.  Both allow one to listen to a
book and download things at the same time, and to sit down at an establishment
and download todays paper and read it right there is great!

One thing I like too is that I can read something without calling attention to
the unit.  Its not some big honking thing that all the sightees get to stare at
while I'm enjoying a book.  I can put it in my pocket and read and no one is
the wiser to what I'm listening to, or what is playing it.

Now, on the other hand, when the unit has been visible, most sightees are
curious about exactly what it is, and I've had some wonderful opportunities to
attempt to teach the sightees a little about us blind folks because of the
Braille+.

All I can say is give it a try.  APH gives you that chance, so take advantage
of it.  If you don't like it, send it back, but I think once you give it a go,
you'll be as hooked on it as I am, and I can tell you, I absolutely love the
concept of the thing, its use, size, and look forward to each new release of
the software and can't wait for future developments.

>>> jeremiahzrogers@xxxxxxxxx 04/16/08 10:27AM >>>
Hi Rob. I happily use the Braille+ for many personal and professional tasks,
but
I do find interacting with the device bothersome in several ways. I find the
braille keys on the
device to be a bit cramped, and I find that I make many more brailling errors
with the
device than I do when using any other device which allowed for braille input.
I've struggled
to put my finger on why that is, but I think it has to do with the device not
accepting some
keystrokes I attempt or the keys not always being pressed when I think they
are. I feel
it necessary to proofread much more carefully, and have to find and correct
many more errors, using this
device than others. I also find the telephone keypad on the device less
comfortable than
I'd hoped it would be in terms of the ability to push the buttons for a long
period of time. The
braille and telephone keypad keys, and for that matter all of the keys on the
device, are
noisy when pressed, and the telephone keys feel almost pointed after using them
for ten minutes
or so. I've never seen the Icon, and am incredibly curious about the physical
differences
between it and the Braille+. I hear that it is rounded on the bottom instead of
the right angles on the
bottom of the Braille+, so I wonder if it wouldn't feel better in a pocket than
the
Braille+. I'm also very curious about the feel, action, and noise of the
telephone keys on
the Icon. I'd like to try thumb braille on the Icon and use that as my
comparrison to life with the
Braille+. I use thumb braille on occasion with the Braille+, and it works fine
but I think it
would be much more desirable with a larger keypad perhaps like that found on
the Icon. Hope all this
babble is of some use, and I look forward to reading further discussion on the
list.

Jeremiah