[icon-discuss] Orb.com working with the icon in the future?

  • From: "Jay Pellis" <jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 23:16:07 -0400

Hello all-
I recently discovered www.orb.com and I think it is an
unbelievable resource for those who have their pc as the
main pc of a wireless network or those who want to listen to
their music or read documents from almost anywhere.  To make
a long story short, you download a small application,
install it, set up an account, add specific folders to a
music/video/documents configuration dialog of the program
then log on to the orb website with your account.  However,
you log in on a different pc, such as a laptop or a windows
mobile device and of course the icon.  You can then stream
music/videos or read text documents and even download the
documents from your pc that the orb application is installed
too.  The mobile friendly page to go too after you set
things up is here-
https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/index.html?format=large
Unfortunately, the service won't work with the icon it
seems.  You can set many options including streaming format
and in setting it to winamp pls format, the audio player
will open but the music will skip and it becomes
unlistenable.  Now there are tons of settings to fool around
with as well as a great troubleshooting/support guide so
maybe it's just that one setting out of a million that has
to be set to make this work.  It is ment to be used mostly
with windows media compatible streaming devices such as a
smartphone or pocket pc, I did read somewhere that users of
the pacmate are using it successfully.
It did work for example with my mom's laptop through her
being connected to the home wireless network we have set up
and it was amazing to be able to listen to my audio book or
music collections quickly and easily.  You can easily browse
by folder and play all files in a folder or just an
individual one.  If you log out and back in later on, you
can even resume the last stream that you were hearing.
Any thoughts on this and has anyone got it working
successfully with the icon/braille plus?
Regards
Jay

----------
Jay Pellis
E-mail: jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Aol instant messenger: ftealucard
Yahoo messenger: ftealucard
Msn messenger, jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: ftealucard
Give a listen to my video game music radio show podcast,
updated every saturday at
http://www.blindjay.libsyn.com/