[icon-discuss] Re: Online training and instructions

  • From: Robert Carter <r-carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 07:48:53 -0600

Hi,

I was looking for archives of the Icon Trainings that have already been done on the Accessible World site but could not find any. Will these sessions be archived somewhere?

Thanks,

Robert Carter

At 12:19 PM 11/28/2007, you wrote:

Hello all:
We appreciate all the feedback we have received regarding the chat room and online
training sessions.  We have decided on a rotating schedule that, we hope, will meet
everyone's needs.  But first, let me give you instructions on accessing the chat
room.
The chat room is at the following link:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs3a3fa151e8a9
When you click on this link, you will be presented with a page that explains what
the Talking Communities (talkcom) software is with a link for downloading it as well
as a link for entering the chat room.  If you have not previously attended any online
trainings or conferences that use the talkcom software, you will need to choose the
download link and download this small piece of software before entering the room.
When you're ready to enter the room choose the "enter in the room" link.  You will
then be asked for a username and password.  You need only enter a username, then
tab to the log in button.  Verbal instructions will be given prior to each session
as to how to interact with the facilitators of each session.
You may also access the chat room by going to
www.accessibleworld.org
 and linking to the Levelstar room.
As for our schedule, as previously announced, tomorrow's training will cover file
management.  Starting next week, all trainings/forums will take place on Tuesday,
some in the late afternoon and others in the evening.  The schedule will rotate so
that, once a month we will use the chat room to, 1, provide training on a specific
application; 2, provide more advanced or broad-based training and/or demonstrate
new features and/or have an open user forum for discussion and questions; 3, A prospective
buyers forum wherein people who are considering buying an Icon can come and ask us
questions; and 4, once a month we will be doing a Getting Started training for new
users.
Specifically, next Tuesday, 12-4, we will be covering the Address Book from 4-5 p.m.
Mountain Time (that's 3 Pacific, 5, central, and 6, Eastern).  Tuesday 12-11, the
training will demonstrate some practical uses for students, using the browser, Newsstand,
and RSS, to collect items for research and/or school projects and then using the
Word Processor to create a workable document.  This will be an evening session and
will begin at 6:30 Mountain time (5:30 Pacific, 7:30 Central, and 8-30 Eastern).
Finally, Tuesday 12-18 will be our last session for the year and will be a prospective
buyers forum.  This forum will take place at 6 p.m. Mountain Time (5 Pacific, 7,
Central, and 8, Eastern).  Please encourage anyone you think may be interested in
purchasing an Icon to attend for a short overview of the product
followed by an open forum wherein attendees are free to ask any questions they have
or to ask for short demonstrations of certain features.
Though we have shaped an initial schedule, we are still open to ideas for sessions.
If you have questions, feedback, or suggestions for future sessions, please direct
them as before to
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
.
Jenny Axler and Michael Jones