[icon-discuss] Re: Improving NLS on Icon and Braille Plus

  • From: Scott Ford <scotte.ford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:28:09 -0400

Linda,
I would really recommend taking the plunge into NLS digital books, especially if you have a Victor Stream or a Icon, it is free. Furthermore I honestly believe that you will be pleasantly surprised ad how amazingly well they do work. The-First the audio from the books is a vast improvement over the NLS tapes. Second the navigation of the digital books is nothing less than amazing. Most of us listen to the books at normal or 120% of normal, at this speed the victor stream is flawless, in my opinion and the Icon sound fine for the most part. I do have to admit that the spaces between files are a little pregnant and the end point are not the greatest. This is certainly not a reason to wait for changes, in my opinion. A few more upsides to the digital service are. You can paroos the library at your leisure and download the book without the wait for tapes to arrive. You do not have to deal with tapes. The sound quality is vastly improved over the tapes, even taking in consideration of the problems. The form factor for both the books and devices are awesome. The upgrades for the devices has been coming at respectibale times, thus bringing improvements that are needed and welcome. Have a great day.
Scott
On Apr 20, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Linda Gehres wrote:

Irwin, I totally agree with you, and that's why I haven't taken the plunge yet into getting with the NLS pilot program till this issue is resolved. Yes, I've seen the new and improved Victor Streams, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to purchase a second machine in order to hear computerized NLS books. I know there's been a lot of comment on the discussion list about this issue, and I, too, hope it can be resolved. I do, however, wonder if part of the problem is with the NLS formatting. Is that formatting just in the development stage, and is NLS assuming that everyone interested in reading digital books is going with the Humanware product? That doesn't sound fair to me either, and I gather one cannot just download digital NLS books on computer. Hopefully it's a situation where I'm just confused and don't have all of the information. But, please, a comment from someone in the
know at Levelstar and or APH would be greatly appreciated.

Linda Gehres

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only.
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to
LevelStar or APH then consider sending your message to
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx