[icon-discuss] Re: GPS ??

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <john@xxxxxxxxx>, "'icond'" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 01:05:01 -0400

John,

My comments appear below some of your suggestions.  Note that I do knot
represent APH's or Levelstar's views here.  They may have a different take.

Hardware
1. if the Icon could be a cell phone, that would make my life complete.
<smile>

PP.  I'm sure this is on the roadmap somewhere.  The hardware is somewhat
ready for this.

2. a battery charger external to the Icon and the docking station.

PP: I'm not certain what you mean here.  Do you mean an external battery
pack?  As I understand it, the docking station does have an external
charger.  The Icon definitely does  Placing the Icon in the docking station
charges it too.

3. GPS would be very, extremely cool.

4. Enhanced Bluetooth support for all sorts of devices, headphones,
printers, the lot.

PP: While I'm not exactly certain about the Bluetooth spec being used by the
Icon, some of what you and I want may be limited by the lack of sterio
support for Bluetooth.

5. For the hard disk to be replaced by 30Gb (or more)  of Flash memory.

PP: This could be a rather expensive prospect.  I would rather see more hdd
space.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 100 GB device down the road.

6. For the speakers on the Icon itself to be able to go a little louder.

PP: Again, this might be  a physical limitation as well as a monitary
consideration.  The docking station speakers sound excellent.

Software
1. Translation of PDF documents

2. Wireless (or just network) based transfer for Audible/NLS downloads as
opposed to needing Disk Drive Mode. Optimal would be a utility like the one
developed for Bookshare.org.

PP. This could be problematic due to the lack of API's available from NLS or
Audible for doing such a thing.  This process was a bit easy--not too
much--but, having to do it for sites like Audible and NLS would be difficult
unless both of them came up with with an API (Application programming
interface) to get direct access to their material without having to go
thorugh a secondary layer.

3. Keystroke/shortcut from anywhere to a complete list of all commands.  How
this list would be organized, I don't know... but something that could keep
you from having to sift through the Help File to find out how to do one key
command that you don't know or have forgotten.

PP: This is a nice suggestion.  Perhaps a key combination such as star+help
to invoke such a combo.

4. The ability to turn off the audio Player from saying Audio Player when it
plays a song.

5. I would like to be able to back up (or left arrow up a level to the
previous menu choice.  Now, in most situations, with the menu option in
standard mode, it forces you to go back to the Applications Menu and then
back to where you were through all the steps again.  I could be dead wrong
about this, being the typical dumb user.   To be specific, let's say I get
down to the Library Menu , I go down to Bookshelf  and play a book... then I
want to be able to back out up through to the top of the Library menu... and
then be able to hit the left arrow and go up to  the Music Player Menu...
instead it always takes you all the way back to the Applications Menu.

PP: This is already possible.  See the Utilities/settings menu.  This will
allow your Icon to remember your menu choice.

6. Sleep timer controls nearer the top of the menu structure. Even top level
with a keyboard shortcut. So you could be in the music player or the book
player and immediately set the sleep timer to power off the unit.

Okay, half a dozen wishes of each type are enough for now. To be truthful,
I'll take any enhancement as they come and be happy. All I want is for
Levelstar and APH to keep releasing minor updates to fix bugs as they can in
as timely a manner as they can.. .which they have been doing so far.  Like I
say, good work.

Well, sorry Crystal that I used your innocent question about GPS to post
this long response.... but heck, use it yourself.  What other things do you
want this marvelous device to do for you?  My guess is it will be nothing
like mine... but as I said, finding a commonality from all of us users will
certainly help Levelstar and APH.

John Esak

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender
only.  If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is
related to LevelStar or APH then consider sending your message to
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx