[ibis] Re: FW: Re: Flexibility of a specification

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:41:06 -0400

Walter

I'm not saying other platforms do not have their issues. All have problems
with non-LTI modeling which they wash over. However, the IBIS-AMI
specification allows a model maker to create analog models that are
non-LTI. The spec is at fault here, since it allows an IBIS Tx or Rx model
to be used in the Analog channel, without any direction on what is required
to be done should the model turn out to be non-LTI. At the least, the IBIS
parser should check for non-LTI models and flag them as errors.

I disagree about comparision and characterization with high loss channels.
Characterization should be done with low loss short channels, as they are
more likely to "break" the modeler's unstated assumptions. This was the
case with IBIS I/V and V/T curve modeling, and it is the case with Serdes
modeling. The worst corner cases often come with high reflectivity, short
channels, where low-Q resonances can break the system quickly. This
happens all the time with electrical links to optical modules and
components, as it does with short backplane channels. If you want to model
near end crosstalk correctly, then it is imperative that the reflection
coefficient of the Tx and Rx silicon is correct. Get it wrong, and you may
miss the mark by 2-to-1.

So there are multiple problems that I see for correlation:

1) what does the EDA tool or analog modeler do to linearize a non-LTI model
IBIS-AMI analog model?

2) How do we correlate a non-real IBIS-AMI analog model that has a C_comp
of 0 pF, and no auxiliary model to describe the analog section.

3) How do we correlate an IBIS-AMI analog model with physical systems when
only one impedance is defined by the I/V curves?

I know of two FPGA vendors who's 28G model exhibit these issues.

Scott McMorrow
Consultant - R&D
Teraspeed Consulting - A Division of Samtec
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
(401) 284-1827 Business
http://www.teraspeed.com

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM, Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Scott,

Let’s put AMI modeling aside, and talk about what people are doing with
MatLab, Stat-Eye, or 802.3bj COM. They all need the same Impulse Response
(or equivalent Pulse Response) of the channel. So they all suffer from the
same problem of generating an Impulse Response of the channel. AMI modeling
is just Stat-Eye and MatLab with IP protection, interoperable models and
portable models. So the LTI assumption and the limitations it introduces
for short, low loss channels has been a limitation the industry has always
had. And to your point, the comparison of various EDA tools should be done
using 20, 30 and 35 dB channels. We do these comparisons all of the time.

Walter