Minutes from the 2 Feb 2021 IBIS Quality Task Group meeting are attached.
Minutes, IBIS Quality Task Group
2 February 2021
11:00-12:00 EST (08:00-09:00 PST)
Intel Technology Michael Mirmak
Micron Technology * Randy Wolff
Signal Integrity Software: * Mike LaBonte
Teraspeed Labs: * Bob Ross
Zuken USA: Lance Wang
Everyone in attendance marked by *
NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
Mike LaBonte conducted the meeting.
Call for IBIS related patent disclosures:
Call for opens:
- Mike noted he had left the IBISCHK2 survey off the agenda.
Review of previous meeting minutes:
Minutes from the January 19 and 26, 2021 meetings were reviewed.
Randy noted an error "alpha1". Mike said that was intended.
Bob Ross moved to accept the minute.
- Bob Ross to draft IBISCHK 7.1.0 parser development contract
- Mike LaBonte to draft IBISCHK source code user questions for email
- Lance Wang to ask Zuken for IBISCHK7 feedback
- No report
- Mike LaBonte to ask Cadence for IBISCHK7 feedback
- Bob Ross to ask Keysight and Siemens for IBISCHK7 feedback
- Randy Wolff to ask Synopsys for IBISCHK7 feedback
- Mike LaBonte to recompile TSCHK2 alpha2 without cygwin dependency,
and fix for impedance checking
- In progress. Mike said he had to make it use a different compiler and add a
"-mno-cygwin" flag, but that caused a link failure that was not yet resolved.
He had not yet addressed the impedance checking issue.
IBISCHK7 source code feedback:
Bob Ross said Mentor and Keysight would need more time to respond to requests
feedback. Mike LaBonte said Cadence also needed some time. Randy Wolff
feedback had been received from Synopsys.
Mike showed an email from Synopsys. Regarding coding standards, Synopsys had
cleaning up all warnings produced during compilation. Mike demonstrated
IBISCHK7.0.2, which produced many warnings. He said some of the warnings were
to those from static code analysis, and they should be of concern. Randy said
not have a contract provision to require that cleanup. Mike suggested
requiring a log
showing no compile warning or errors. Randy asked about differences between
Mike suggested requiring the log only for Windows. Bob asked how much time it
take to resolve the warnings. Mike felt it might take a day at most. Many
were for unused variables.
Synopsys had also suggested using a static code analysis tool such as Coverity
functional safety. Mike suggested asking Synopsys if they could provide the
or checking service. Randy said we might start by asking for a single initial
AR: Randy Wolff to ask Synopsys for Coverity report on IBISCHK7 source code
Synopsys had suggested running Valgrind dynamic memory checking. Mike said
have to be on Linux, and many IBIS files might be needed to run enough
testcases for good
coverage. He suggested using the regression tests bundled with the IBISCHK7
AR: Mike to run IBISCHK7 regression tests with valgrind checking enabled
Bob noted that we had not asked ANSYS for feedback. Randy asked if we should
other source code purchasers. Bob said Dell and several others had purchased,
that they may not be shipping products using the code. Mike agreed with the
asking all licensees. Randy suggested sending a batch email to all, not
AR: Mike LaBonte to ask ANSYS for feedback on IBISCHK7 source code
AR: Bob Ross to ask remaining IBISCHK7 source code licensees for feedback
Synopsys had also suggested prefixing function names with "IBISCHK_", because
encountered name collisions. Mike suggested notifying all source code
doing so, but waiting for all currently requested feedback to come in before
New parser bug reports:
Bob Ross showed a draft IBISCHK7.1.0 contract. He noted we had not yet
but approval was likely. Mike LaBonte asked about the first bullet under 1) d).
Bob said this that was a regression test task that was missed. The test had
carried over to run using the latest IBISCHK7. Mike asked about "No open BUG
under the provision requiring open bug reports to be fixed. Bob said we would
BUG214. Randy Wolff said there had been no IBIS Open Forum objection to fixing
Bob said the estimate was 80 hours to fix it, he was concerned about the
Randy Wolff said once the list of BIRDs was set, that development could begin
take place in parallel with editorial work. Bob showed that he had appended
of BIRDs to be fixed to the contract, with helpful annotations. Mike felt that
good approach. He suggested using a different color for the annotations, to
them from BIRD text. Bob said he had not yet added BIRD200, but that would be
IBISCHK security fixes:
No further discussion.
IBIS-ISS parser development:
Bob said we should also check the linkage between IBIS and Touchstone files at
same time. Randy said doing that using TSCHK2 could get complicated.
No further discussion.
Tabled topics (no discussion without motion):
Randy Wolff moved to adjourn. Bob Ross seconded. Without objection the meeting
Meeting ended: 12:10 ET
Next meeting February 9, 2021