[ibis-macro] Re: redriver in spice simulation

  • From: <fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:18:33 -0600

Hi, Arpad;

My answers are inserted.

Regarding “So I tend to agree to Radek’s suggestion, namely ignoring the
connection between the Rx half and Tx half in SPICE/non-AMI. But that’s beyond
the scope of my BIRD.”, If that is the case, the BIRD
should state that explicitly, and propose verbiage for the
specification for a statement like that.  But I am not sure
how much of your BIRD text actually goes into the spec.
Could you explain that?

FR: what dose ‘that’ mean?

I would suggest to change the words “input *** model” and
“output *** model” to “receiver *** model” and “transmitter
*** model” to eliminate possible confusions along the lines
we just had in this thread.

FR: It’s fine for me to use Rx/Tx instead of input/output, but I know there are
people who would argue strongly against using Rx/Tx because in optical redriver
models the first half actually transmits signal and the second half receives
signal. Any suggestion for better terminology is welcome.

Are you assuming that if the model is made for a redriver, the
model maker will know that the Rx GetWave output should be (a
+/- 0.5 V digital waveform) or make the Tx GetWave accept true
analog waveforms?

FR: Tx GetWave accepts continuous analog waveform. I can spell it out in the
BIRD.

Another question, which was also mentioned yesterday in the ATM
meeting:  If an .ibs file has multiple Rx and Tx AMI models,
how would the simulator know which Rx goes with which Tx model?

That’s addressed in Walter’s BIRD.

Regards,
Fangyi