[ibis-macro] Re: redriver in spice simulation

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:09:15 -0400 (EDT)

Arpad,

Of course an output is driven by something – it’s stimulus. In the case of a
redriver, the stimulus is a continuous waveform. In the case of a retimer
the stimulus is a “digital” waveform that transitions between -.5 and +.5.
There are no constraints on the voltage range of the stimulus input to a
redriver output.

Note that both a redriver and a retimer are “repeaters”.

As far as SPICE simulation with a redriver or retimer (the retimer flow is
identical to a redriver flow, except that jitter can be inserted by the EDA
tool in a retimer), the requirement is that the EDA tool generate an impulse
response from the initial Tx to the Repeater Rx, and a separate impulse
response from the repeater Tx to the next Rx. The is two separate SPICE
simulations (if you choose to do SPICE simulations to generate the two
impulse responses). So there is never a need to do a SPICE simulation from
the channel Tx to the channel Rx through the retimer or redriver.

I stated before, and I repeat my concern that the EDA tool does need to know
how to generate the impulse response from redriver Tx to the channel Rx, and
the Redriver BIRD is not clear on how to do this. Since the redriver Tx is a
true analog circuit it can be represented by an s4p (BIRD 158), and if the
analog circuit is defined using BIRD 158 generating this impulse response is
trivial and can be done using SPICE or S parameter arithmetic (assuming the
RX is LTI). Because the redriver Tx is an analog object it cannot be
represented by a legacy IBIS model or a BIRD 116 External Model (which has a
D/A converter).

Walter