[ibis-macro] Re: canned circuit models and more

  • From: Feras Al-Hawari <feras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx" <kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:49:58 -0800

Hello All,

I agree with Ken.

I also believe that we should keep clear and defined boundaries between the
various IBIS blocks. As of today those boundaries are very well defined and
make sense. Those boundaries are:
1) AMI block (for algorithmic models encapsulated inside a dll to model CDR or
equalization)
2) Analog I/O block (the analog I/O buffer which can be modeled using the
regular VT/VI curves or using an External Model)
3) Package block (can be defined in an IBIS device or an External Circuit)

The above blocks are contained and provide a lot of generality and flexibility.
For example the proposed analog and broadband Tx and Rx constructs belong to
block (b) above (the analog block) and should not be merged or intermixed with
the AMI block (the AMI block should be kept simple and should contain
algorithmic models only). Also, there is no need to introduce new constructs
and keywords to model an analog or broadband Tx and Rx as such models can be
easily represented using a SPICE like language (e.g., IBIS ISS). The SPICE
model can then be wrapped in a subckt that can then be referenced by an
External Model, which belongs to the most suitable block for such models i.e.,
block (b) above.

So let us keep the IBIS specification simple, generic, and less cumbersome.

Best regards,

Feras Al-Hawari
Cadence Design Systems