[ibis-macro] Use of IBIS-AMI models for standard interfaces by standards groups?

  • From: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis-users@xxxxxxx" <ibis-users@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:44:43 -0600

I have been studying several industry interface specifications in detail
lately; specifically, SAS2 (available through www.t10.org<http://www.t10.org>)
and PCI Express Gen. 3 (consult www.pci-sig.com<http://www.pci-sig.com>;
membership may be required for document access).  Because of the high speeds of
both, equalization is required and schemes such as DFE and CTLE are described
in considerable detail.  Some of these kinds of specifications include
equations for how a "spec reference" receiver is supposed to operate for
simulation purposes.

None of the industry interface documents I have read so far mentions IBIS-AMI
however, though some explicitly mention StatEye or even refer to the standard
group's own software or code for performing some simulation tasks.  SAS2 even
provides MATLAB code for one analysis procedure as part of the specification
document.

Is this not an opportunity?  Could one of our more enterprising readers use the
industry specification equations to create a "spec reference" IBIS-AMI model
for simulation purposes?  This would certainly be a benefit both to the
standard involved as well as to IBIS-AMI adoption, not to mention the
individual or organization that actually releases the model.  While I'm certain
that private versions may exist, I would like to suggest a public release of
one or more of these specification models.

Any volunteers?

-       MM