[ibis-macro] Tx and Rx templates, why not?

  • From: Feras Al-Hawari <feras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:08:32 -0800

Todd,

I explained my opinion regarding that many times before, you can review the

-          IBIS ISS allows us to develop such models and many other models in a
general manner that leaves all the dirty details to the model developer. For
example, till this point Walter is still considering whether to keep or not the
unity gain elements in the templates. He was also asked to consider adding
series resistors to the template. Such templates won't last long as people will
always need to modify/add something to them. So why should we keep running
after these details and then keep changing the spec based on that, especially
when we can save time and effort by putting all of that work in the plate of
the model developer based on the general IBIS-ISS approach.

-          Introducing two PCIe-related templates will also open the door to
the introduction of many other templates for all different technologies (DDR3,
USB, etc).

-          As technology moves forward, these templates will need to be updated
or even nullified.

Best regards,

Feras