[ibis-macro] Re: Suggested change to Usage Out and InOut BIRD

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:47:28 -0700

Walter,

I have to disagree with your proposed text below.

First, I don't think we need to talk in the specification

about when a is model compliant with the specification.

The nature of a specification is to define the rules by

which the models and simulators operate.  It is an obvious

"given" that if someone does things that is outside the

spec that they are not compliant with that spec.  The spec

doesn't have to state that "if you don't do what I say, you

are not compliant", or "if you do everything the way I say

you are compliant".

Second, you seem to interpret "compliance" in a really

unusual and strange way.  The way I understand your

suggestion is that you consider models and tools to be

compliant if they produce the same results, regardless

whether they do what the specification says or not.  Why

bother having a specification then?

Third, the last sentence "There shall be no prohibition from a User

to direct a simulation to use a compliant model in a non-compliant way."
is

a clear and premeditated anti-trust idea.  You want a model

to be able to tell the tool to perform non compliant things,

without letting the competing EDA vendors in this field know

what features they have to implement in their tools in order

to support such specific non-compliant actions the model's

user may want to perform.  Without a specification describing

what actions the model's user can request from the tool, the

tool vendor will not know what features they need to implement

for a user who wants to perform non-compliant simulations.

This contradicts even your own views about models and tools

being compliant if they reproduce the same results.  Without

a specification it is simply impossible to reproduce the same

results.

This would only work for companies whose product line involves

both models and tools, or if there are alliances between certain

model making companies and EDA tool vendors.  But such alliances

might be secret, and they cannot be enforced to be public.

This scene is simply wrong and can set up a stage for unfair

competition.

I think it is totally inappropriate to put words like this

into a specification.  The purpose of a specification is to

establish a fair playing field for all those who are interested

in implementing the rules spelled out in the specification so

that the models (which also obey the rules in the specification)

would work.  We cannot put statements in the specification to

endorse (or encourage) non-compliant activities.  This would

undermine the purpose of the specification.

Your suggestions even violate the first two goals you proclaim

for IBIS-AMI in various documents:

With the suggestions you made in your email these two goals

are NOT possible.  And don't tell me that the models made

according to your suggestions are all compliant (because they

pass the IBIS parser), therefore they are interoperable and

portable.  They may be for a limited set of their capabilities

or accuracy level, but the whole reason you want to go outside

the compliance is to be able to something bigger and better

that the spec doesn't support.  This automatically sets a stage

for the above unfair competition because those who want to use

the bigger and better features of the model will have to go to,

guess who?  The ONLY EDA vendor who knows how to simulate it,

because they make the model(s) and the tool.

Sincerely,