[ibis-macro] Re: Straw Poll vote on IBIS-ISS Package Modeling

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:12:02 +0000

Walter,

We are talking about two different questions here.

1)  Whether or not to put data and instructions behind

commented lines in an otherwise compliant model file

in general

2)  Whether or not to add x-y coordinates to the IBIS v6.0

specification

I don't think I will change my position on the first

question any time soon.  On the other hand, while my

current position is that x-y coordinates don't belong

in the IBIS specification, I am not opposed at anyone

writing a BIRD on the subject and have discussions on

it to see whether our majority agrees with approving

it for an upcoming version of the specification.

From: "Muranyi, Arpad"
<Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/16/2012 09:17 AM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Greg,

Thanks for your comments again.  Certainly, we could do
a survey on what people think we should spend our time
on.  But we need to make a good list then that people
could prioritize with numbers.  Some of that list could
come from the agenda I send out every week for the ATM
meetings, because I have a few topics listed there which
are ahead of us, but we don't get to discuss in the meetings
because we take the ones which are on the top of the list.

But regarding the package improvements question, at its
current state, the package modeling in the IBIS specification
is pretty much useless.  If we don't do anything about it, we
can pretty much say goodbye to anyone using it for anything
useful.  That means that you will get package models in all
kinds of different shapes and form, and you will constantly
have to tailor them to the tool you happen to be using for
any given project.

If you looked at the BIRDs list on the IBIS website:
http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/birds/ and searched for "package",
you will see that the last BIRD was 64.4 in year 2000 adding
the [Alternate Package Model] keyword to the spec, and before
that we had BIRD 54 in 1998 with some corrections, and before
that we had BIRD 37.3 and 28.3 with some enhancements in years
1996 and 1996.  This means that the last time we enhanced the
package modeling syntax in IBIS was over 16 years ago!  To me
this alone is an indication that we should put a high priority
on upgrading the package modeling capabilities in IBIS, but
this is with the assumption that we want to have a standard
for it.  If people don't want to have a modeling standard for
package modeling, we might as well drop the discussions today
and spend our time on other topics.

From: "Muranyi, Arpad"
<Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/15/2012 10:47 AM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Greg,

Thanks for your comments.  Like you, I would like to see
more comments from other users too.

But to answer your question, "along with a document saying "use this model for
these pins""
is what we would like to make the .ibs and/or .pkg file
to do for you (based on a standardized specification),
so that you won't have to do it by hand.  Does that make
sense?

As an illustration I would say that we want to make a
specification which allows model vendors to send you a
machine readable netlist instead of a Word document
that describes what the circuit looks like...

From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/14/2012 04:24 PM
Subject: [ibis-macro] Straw Poll vote on IBIS-ISS Package Modeling
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

[attachment "IBIS_ISS_Package_Modeling_120807.pdf" deleted by Gregory R
Edlund/Rochester/IBM]
[attachment "IBIS_ISS_Package_Modeling_Discussion_1_120814.pdf" deleted by
Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM]
[attachment "PackageFunctionalityStrawPoll.xlsx" deleted by Gregory R
Edlund/Rochester/IBM]

All,

I have put 28 questions in a spreadsheet. I think it will take too much time to
do the voting in the meeting, so I request that you put entries 1:4 in column 1
of each question. The meanings of 1:4 are.

4

Advocate   I need this!

3

Support      I support this

2

Abstain       I have no opinion

1

Object         I object to this functionality

Return them to me or all IBIS-ATM and I will collate the results and publish
them by Tuesday AM. I am including the .xlsx file in case you have difficulty
editing the spreadsheet in the body of this e-mail. Also including this and
last weeks presentation.

Walter

4

Advocate   I need this!

3

Support      I support this

2

Abstain       I have no opinion

1

Object         I object to this functionality

Should we add keywords Pullup_Signal_name, Pulldown_Signal_name,
Power_clamp_Signal_name, and Ground_clamp_Signal_name to the [Model] section?

Should we add a section to the .ibs file to define the voltage values of supply
signal names?

Should we add a list of supply die pad names?

Should we add an x-y coordinate for each pin and die pad?

Should we support two signal pins connected to the same die pad (Forked Signal)?

Should we be able to associate a package model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a package model with a Pin_name?

Should we be able to associate a coupled package model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a coupled package model with a list of Pin_names?

Should we support package models with coupling between signals and power?

Should we support a coupled package model that hooks up to two or more [Model]
names?

Should we support package models with more than 3 corners?

Should we support package Touchstone files directly?

Should we support sparse usage of large package Touchstone files?

Should we support package "Quadrants" (e.g. Banks, Interfaces)?

Should we support full package models?

Should we support on-die models?

Should we be able to associate an on-die model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate an on-die model with a Pin_name?

Should we be able to associate a coupled on-die model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a coupled on-die model with a list of Pin_names?

Should we support on-die models with coupling between signals and power?

Should we support a coupled on-die model that hooks up to two or more [Model]
names?

Should we support on-die models with more than 3 corners?

Should we support on-die Touchstone files directly?

Should we support sparse usage of large on-die Touchstone files?

Should we support on-die "Quadrants" (e.g. Banks, Interfaces)?

Should we support full on-die models?

Walter Katz
wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Phone 303.449-2308