[ibis-macro] Re: Straw Poll vote on IBIS-ISS Package Modeling

  • From: David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx'" <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx'" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:55:34 -0700

Hi Greg,

If you’re a Python fan, you might want to check out this tool:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=PyIBIS-AMI&version=0.8

It won’t give you visibility into the DLL. (A black box is a black box,
regardless of how you poke it.)
However, it will hold the DLL in scope for as long as you wish. And it will
allow you to poke at the model with the full power of Python and all its
libraries. And you might find that helpful.

-db

From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>,
<ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/16/2012 10:31 AM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Greg,

There is a way that a model maker can demonstrate than an AMI DLL loads and
runs successfully, outside of any particular EDA tool.

It’s called IBIS-AMI_Test, and it can be downloaded and used for free.

If people are providing you with DLL’s without demonstrating that they run
correctly in IBIS-AMI_Test, then you have no real independent validation that
the DLL complies with the standard. You only have their assertion that the
model runs in a particular tool, which may not help you much.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products

Signal Integrity Software Inc. • www.sisoft.com<http://www.sisoft.com/>
6 Clock Tower Place • Suite 250 • Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24  •  twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>

“I want to live like that ”
                                             -Sidewalk Prophets

From: "Muranyi, Arpad"
<Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/15/2012 10:47 AM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Greg,

Thanks for your comments.  Like you, I would like to see
more comments from other users too.

But to answer your question, “along with a document saying "use this model for
these pins"”
is what we would like to make the .ibs and/or .pkg file
to do for you (based on a standardized specification),
so that you won’t have to do it by hand.  Does that make
sense?

As an illustration I would say that we want to make a
specification which allows model vendors to send you a
machine readable netlist instead of a Word document
that describes what the circuit looks like…

From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 08/14/2012 04:24 PM
Subject: [ibis-macro] Straw Poll vote on IBIS-ISS Package Modeling
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

[attachment "IBIS_ISS_Package_Modeling_120807.pdf" deleted by Gregory R
Edlund/Rochester/IBM]
[attachment "IBIS_ISS_Package_Modeling_Discussion_1_120814.pdf" deleted by
Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM]
[attachment "PackageFunctionalityStrawPoll.xlsx" deleted by Gregory R
Edlund/Rochester/IBM]

All,

I have put 28 questions in a spreadsheet. I think it will take too much time to
do the voting in the meeting, so I request that you put entries 1:4 in column 1
of each question. The meanings of 1:4 are.

4

Advocate   I need this!

3

Support      I support this

2

Abstain       I have no opinion

1

Object         I object to this functionality

Return them to me or all IBIS-ATM and I will collate the results and publish
them by Tuesday AM. I am including the .xlsx file in case you have difficulty
editing the spreadsheet in the body of this e-mail. Also including this and
last weeks presentation.

Walter

4

Advocate   I need this!

3

Support      I support this

2

Abstain       I have no opinion

1

Object         I object to this functionality

Should we add keywords Pullup_Signal_name, Pulldown_Signal_name,
Power_clamp_Signal_name, and Ground_clamp_Signal_name to the [Model] section?

Should we add a section to the .ibs file to define the voltage values of supply
signal names?

Should we add a list of supply die pad names?

Should we add an x-y coordinate for each pin and die pad?

Should we support two signal pins connected to the same die pad (Forked Signal)?

Should we be able to associate a package model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a package model with a Pin_name?

Should we be able to associate a coupled package model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a coupled package model with a list of Pin_names?

Should we support package models with coupling between signals and power?

Should we support a coupled package model that hooks up to two or more [Model]
names?

Should we support package models with more than 3 corners?

Should we support package Touchstone files directly?

Should we support sparse usage of large package Touchstone files?

Should we support package “Quadrants” (e.g. Banks, Interfaces)?

Should we support full package models?

Should we support on-die models?

Should we be able to associate an on-die model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate an on-die model with a Pin_name?

Should we be able to associate a coupled on-die model with a [Model]?

Should we be able to associate a coupled on-die model with a list of Pin_names?

Should we support on-die models with coupling between signals and power?

Should we support a coupled on-die model that hooks up to two or more [Model]
names?

Should we support on-die models with more than 3 corners?

Should we support on-die Touchstone files directly?

Should we support sparse usage of large on-die Touchstone files?

Should we support on-die “Quadrants” (e.g. Banks, Interfaces)?

Should we support full on-die models?

Walter Katz
wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Phone 303.449-2308
Mobile 303.335-6156

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail,
and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

GIF image

GIF image