[ibis-macro] SpecialParameters

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mlabonte@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arpad Muranyi" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 16:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Arpad,

Some thoughts about the parameter name "SpecialParameters" in the Out
InOut Info BIRD:

1. It would need underscores to conform to our naming convention for
Reserved_Parameters, so "Special_Parameters".

2. This would be our first parameter that contains parameter names,
and we might want to be explicit: "Special_Parameter_Names".

3. It would be good if the name implied some hope of a future
Reserved_Parameter, so: "Transitional_Parameter_Names".

HTML tags that are not yet standard but implemented in some browsers are
called "transitional". For example, the "<video>" tag was implemented
before the HTML5 standard was actually passed. The DTDs that defined it
were labeled "TRANSITIONAL". I think "Transitional_Parameter_Names" would
help convey the idea that it is understood that only some tools will
understand the special meaning, and also hint that there is a path to
making it into the specification.