[ibis-macro] Re: Slides and BIRD draft are now posted

  • From: "Bob Ross" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:48:45 -0700

Arpad and Randy,

Per our discussion at the Editorial Committee meeting today, I

prefer a keyword based format for merged lists. In your

example, the alternative format would be:

[Merged Pins] E9 | pin it the [Pin Numbers] list

K9 M9

N1 T1 | list can span several lines and is terminated by another keyword

[Merged Pins] F2

G9

[Model Data] | keyword terminates the last [Merged Pins] assignment

..

This way all of the merged pin combinations are clearly shown rather

than "hidden" in the [Pin Numbers] list. They can be checked together

in a .pkg file for (1) each merged pin assignment is a member of the

[Pin Numbers] list, (2) the merged pins that are listed are NOT members

of the [Pin Numbers] list, (3) each set of merged pins do not contain

duplicates with other members or other [Merged Pins] assignments.

Also, this alternative syntax does not require changes to the [Pin Numbers]

processing, checking and its table generation and supports a single pass
operation.

[Merged Pins] lists, would be checked further in a .ibs file with

the [Pin Mapping] keyword POWER and GND keyword bus assignments

such that each member of [Merged Pins] list is a member of the same bus.

(Merged Pins] do not have to include all members of the bus, and

two different [Merged Pins] lists can be members of the same bus

as long as the pin numbers in [Merged Pins] are unique (already

checked).

----

Should the .ibs/[Define Package Model] issue an error or warning

if [Pin Mapping] is not defined, but [Merged Pins] is?

I have a concern about suggesting disconnecting a package model pin

(making it open) when it is not in a [Pin Numbers] or [Merged Pins] list.

While the merged pins concept is creating an electrical approximation,

the disconnecting of the other pins is contrary to its physical
implementation.

Bob