[ibis-macro] Re: SPICE in IBIS

  • From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:32:07 -0400

Arpad,

Not necessarily.

It is a good example of why mission statements are so important. If the goal of what we've been discussing in IBIS-ATM is to provide "transportable models of passive interconnect", then the problem posted by Prabhat is outside that scope. It might be desirable, but it's still outside the scope.

The fundamental question is ... is having detailed transportable models of high speed interconnect a problem worth solving in its own right? If it is, then the discussions of IBIS-ATM and IBIS-Spice are right on track.

If instead, the goal is to have a general purpose modeling language that should be able to address any modeling problem that might crop up ... well, that's different. We already have plenty of such languages, several of them designated as standards. Thus, I always go back to - what problem are we trying to solve? It's nice when a solution will solve more than one problem, but that's really just a bonus.

The quote that comes to mind is (sorry, but this just cracks me up):

"The objective of all dedicated employees should be to thoroughly analyze all situations, anticipate all problems prior to their occurrence, have answers for these problems, and move swiftly to solve these problems when called upon.

However, when you are up to your waist in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp."

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
Todd,
Isn't your response on the IBIS-users reflector a prime
example for what Bob was talking about in our IBIS-ATM
meeting yesterday (that people will immediately be
unhappy with the limited IBIS-SPICE subset we are
proposing)?