[ibis-macro] Re: [SI-LIST] Your blog post: Four Things That Drove Me Nuts About IBIS 5.1

  • From: <colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:24:00 -0600

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the feedback, which I'll consider for the next version. I hope to
converge on perfection. :-)

Let me explain the (possibly misguided) rationale behind the present version:

The "Case 1-5" labels I used were intend as shorthand internal to the document.
In the caption of Table 2, I even said explicitly:

     "For the purposes of this article, let's give them names --Cases 1-5, but
bear in mind that IBIS 5.1 doesn't use these names."

A book critic reviewing a book doesn't feel obliged to agree with everything
the author said. Similarly here, I was trying to give a different perspective
aimed at newcomers. Simply replicating the language of the standard would have
made our paper redundant.

That said, I do like your proposal for naming the four model flag combinations,
specifically:

a) "Illegal" for Init_Returns_Impulse=FALSE & GetWave_Exists="FALSE"

b) "LTI-only" for Init_Returns_Impulse=TRUE & GetWave_Exists="FALSE"

c) "NLTV-only" for Init_Returns_Impulse=FALSE & GetWave_Exists="TRUE"

d) "NLTV/LTI" for Init_Returns_Impulse=TRUE & GetWave_Exists="TRUE"

...I'll adopt those in the text below...

I agree that the combinations where one or both models are "illegal" divides
the 32 combinations (four flags by one simulator mode setting) into 18 legal
and 14 illegal combinations.

The 14 illegal combinations are color coded red in my table:

http://signal-integrity.tm.agilent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IBIS_AMI_5_1_combinations.pdf

...the 18 legal ones are colored green or yellow.

Although there are nine 9 legal stat mode combinations, five of those involve
one or both models being "NLTV-only" which are implicit pass-throughs in stat
mode, and therefore not very useful IMHO. I didn't consider them in the paper.
In addition, in stat mode a "NLTV/LTI" model behaves like an LTI-only model
because stat mode ignores GetWave, hence my coining "Case 1", which is a short
hand for mode=statistical & Tx Init_Returns_Impulse=TRUE &  Rx
Init_Returns_Impulse=TRUE

Similarly in bit-by-bit mode,  "NLTV/LTI" model behaves like a "NLTV-only"
model because bit-by-bit mode ignores the LTI in favor of GetWave for a
"NLTV/LTI" model. So you can boil down the nine legal cases to four (my "Cases
2-5") with each Case corresponding to a particular Tx and Rx GetWave_Exist
setting pair.

Hope this helps!

-- Colin Warwick
Product manager for High Speed Digital, Agilent EEsof EDA
...feeds blog @ http://Signal-Integrity.TM.Agilent.com/feed/
...tweets @signalintegrity
...it's sooo 19th century, but he even sends and receives phone calls @ +1 978
681 2406