[ibis-macro] Re: SATA: Why 14 sigma?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:30:03 -0400

That would that would be +/- 7 Sigma for the tails on each side of the mean.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

On 4/18/2012 4:26 PM, David Banas wrote:

Hi experts,

Does anyone know why the SATA committee chose to add 14 sigma to Dj, in order to determine Tj at an effective BER of 1e-12?

I'm looking at a table of the erfc function, and it's telling me that erfc(14) = 3.0372e-87!

(I would've expected that they would've chosen `n', such that erfc(n) = 1e-12.)

Thanks!

*David Banas*

/Sr. Member Technical Staff/

Altera <http://www.altera.com/>

+1-408-544-7667 - desk

//

/Did you know Altera offers over 150 free online technical training courses <http://www.altera.com/servlets/searchcourse?coursetype=Online&WT.mc_id=t9_ot_mi_mi_tx_a_311>? Take one today!/

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.