[ibis-macro] Re: Resolution to the Open Forum

  • From: "Bob Ross" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:47:22 -0700

All:

I recommend splitting this up as two independent resolutions.

I recommend voting NO or abstaining on both since they have unintended
consequences.

Resolution 1) shuts off ongoing discussion and proposals in the Editing
committee on how

to document both V5.0 and V5.1, especially in providing a corrected version
of the V5.0 .ami

interface language in a very efficient manner.

With 1), IBIS Version 5.1 officially replaces entirely IBIS 5.0 and becomes
the only official

document that IBIS will endorse.    What is not documented will no longer
exist in IBIS.

All existing, unmodified Version 5.0 model .ami files will be officially
deprecated.

IBISCHK5, Version 5.1.X will not check for validity of any undocumented V5.0
AMI syntax.

Resolution 2) does not change anything because the biggest problem is that

Version 5.0 is so badly documented (mistakes and internal contradictions)

that there is no valid basis for any transition without officially
documenting the

correct interpretations.  Resolution 2) also adds a new task, without
priority or

scope.  The fact is that any vendor that choses to continue to

supporting Version 5.0 models can document their own transition rules

and even take into account their private features, as needed.

I understand and can agree with the concern that the task of providing

documentation/corrections for 5.0 could become large and impossible.

However, volunteer resources are available, and the issues are not that
numerous.

This is a very manageable project after we make some common sense

decisions to minimize the documented differences, or to acknowledge

some no-longer supported flow details with only simple elaboration.  That

way we can provide and support an officially corrected level of Version 5.0

IBIS-AMI within the official Version 5.1 specification with probably less

work than proposed in 2).

Bob