[ibis-macro] Re: Replacing BIRD 122 with "Reserved_Model" keyword in [External Model]

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 02:46:25 +0000

Scott,

While your points are all valid, I think we need to be careful
in this discussion about our wording and be clear about whether
we are talking about the existing IBIS-AMI specification, real
life, or circuit theory, or what have you.

On pg. 139 of the IBIS 5.0 specification I see these words:

| This proposal breaks SERDES device modeling into two parts - electrical

| and algorithmic. The combination of the transmitter's analog back-end, the

| serial channel and the receiver's analog front-end are assumed to be linear
| and time invariant.

According to this, the IBIBS-AMI specification is clear that
the assumption is that the analog portions of Tx and Rx are
part of the channel, and are assumed to be LTI.

We might question the validity of this assumption, but it
seems that Walter's discussion today was working within
this frame.  Our comments on Walter's proposal should stay
within these boundaries, or if that is not sufficient any
more, we need to revisit this assumption.  But that should
be treated as a separate discussion, and not as comments on
Walter's proposal that was discussed today.