[ibis-macro] Re: Questions on On-Die Interconnect

  • From: "Randy Wolff (rrwolff)" <rrwolff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ibis-Interconn <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:45:32 +0000

Walter,

Please see my responses below in red.

Thanks,
Randy

From: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Walter Katz
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:22 AM
To: Ibis-Interconn; IBIS-ATM
Subject: [ibis-macro] Questions on On-Die Interconnect

All,

We have had input from several IC Vendors on packaging requirements, however,
we have had no input from IC Vendors on On-Die interconnect requirements. Here
is a specific set of questions that need to be answered. These questions
specifically address chips where the IC Vendor currently has on-die
interconnect models that they either deliver or would like to deliver to their
System Company customers.

1.       Does there exist any chip where the on-die interconnect models are
different for all channels that use the same [Model]?
Not at Micron. Typically only one channel per die.

2.       Does there exist any chip where there are on-die interconnect models
with cross talk between channels?
Not at Micron.

3.       Does there exist any chip where there are on-die interconnect models
with cross talk between channels and supply voltages?
Not at Micron.

4.       Does there exist any chip where there are on-die interconnect models
with multiple die pads nodes for each supply voltage?
An on-die PDN model would typically have about as many VDDQ/VSSQ pads as DQ/DQS
pads.  The package model would need to be created to include all the die pad
nodes as well for the power supply connections, instead of current techniques
that lump all the die pads into single supply connection points.

5.       Does there exist any chip where there are on-die interconnect models
with multiple buffer pads nodes for each supply voltage?
Not sure what you mean here...

6.       Does there exist any chip where the on-die interconnect models for a
channel are other than s2p or s4p Touchstone files?
I could see a PDN model potentially being more than s4p if multiple supply
nodes are included, but we haven't created any such models.

If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, does the IC Vendor use them
just internally or deliver these models to System Companies with no NDA?; with
an NDA?
I have delivered on-die PDN models to system companies under NDA, only Spice
format so far.  I expect to include some type of PDN model to accompany IBIS
5.0 models in the near future, without NDA.  How the customer will best hookup
the PDN model for simulation is TBD.

If the answer to all of these questions is No, does the IC Vendor have plans to
deliver such models to System Companies in the future, and if so when?

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Phone 303.449-2308