[ibis-macro] Re: Questions on AMI_parameters

  • From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:00:24 -0400

Arpad,

I've already overspent my discretionary time for today, so I have to be brief here:

1) You're right, -2, 1, 0, 1 and 2 are parameter names.  My bad for not using terminology precisely.

I think your other points all go to the same issue ... making it easier to understand how the information in the .AMI file gets manipulated and transformed into the data passed to the model.  I think coordinating the examples between sections 6c and section 10 would go a long way here ...

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
Todd,

Thanks for your reply too.  This email and my last one
seemed to have crossed in ether, so you actually answered
some of my questions as I was writing them...  However,
my main questions are still wide open, so here is my reply
to your message.

1)  I think you are incorrect in saying that
"-2, -1, 0, 1 and 2 are all parameters" because as far as I can tell
from section "6c, bottom of pg. 149 ", these are parameter
names:

| which is their tap number (i.e., "-1" is the name of the
| first precursor tap, "0" is the name of the main tap, "1" is
| the name of the first postcursor tap, etc.) and the tap
| weights are declared to be of type Tap, then the EDA platform

2)  I looked at section 3.1.2.6 (again) and I don't see any
rules spelled out here for the transformation from the .ami
file to the DLL parameter string.  All I see here is rules
for what that DLL parameter string format should look like,
basically the tree/leaf format.  But the content of the .ami
file follows the same tree/leaf rules, so this is not giving
me any information on how one translates into the other.

3)  The two examples of this section could be somewhat better.
The first one includes words like "(spacing sync)" which I
have no clue what it refers to, the second one actually
indicates that the format from our favorite multi-billion
dollar company is perfectly legal:

 "(leaf5 value5 value6 value7)"

What seems to be missing to me is the link between this format
and the .ami file's tree/leaf format.

4)  Even the bottom of pg. 149 is only an explanation for the
format that goes into the .ami file, but there is no mention
there that this should be translated to something else for
the DLL's parameter string.  I simply cannot find any mention
of the need to translate the content of the .ami file for the
DLL, consequently I can't find any rules about it either.  Am
I missing something?