[ibis-macro] Re: Question, re: drastic differences between Statistical and Bit-by-bit simulation results.

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0500

Arpad,

I agree.  The Ignore_Bits setting should be a function of the CDR/training
algorithm, which the user should not have to worry about.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "'ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   04/09/2012 09:04 AM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Re: Question, re: drastic differences between
            Statistical and Bit-by-bit simulation results.
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greg,

You are correct, Ignore_Bits is optional.  I was kind of
speed reading and didn’t catch the sentence on pg. 145,
I only saw the sentence in the middle of pg. 144...

But this doesn’t change my comment on what Casey said,
because if Ignore_Bits is not in the .ami file, the model
maker must have been happy with its default value of zero.
Also, since the model’s user is not supposed to make changes
to the content of the .ami file, I don’t see why the User’s
Guide of the model should encourage the user to do so by
putting in recommended values for Ignore_Bits.

From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/06/2012 05:21 PM
Statistical and Bit-by-bit simulation results.
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with most everything Casey says, except with this:

“the model user's guide should have some recommendation for 'ignore bits'”

because “Ignore_Bits” is a required AMI reserved parameter
which must be present in every .ami file to tell the EDA tool
how many bits it should ignore.  So there is no need for any
recommendations in the User’s Guide.