[ibis-macro] Re: Question on dividing up the Tx behavior between the AMI and analog portions of the model

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:00:00 -0600

That was a good question, eh?  I'm going to mark that one down for the
quality check list.  And I really like Scott's idea about pathological
cases.  We should cook up a set of channels that beat up the AMI models.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   03/08/2012 12:17 PM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Question on dividing up the Tx behavior between
            the AMI and analog portions of the model
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Is it customary to split up the Tx behavior, such that the FFE is modeled
in the AMI model and the pulse shaper in the analog model?
Or, is there a different dividing line that has been identified as “best
practice”.
(Or, am I completely off in the weeds?)

The context for this question: I just managed to get good correlation
between our latest Tx AMI model and the HSPICE model.
And then I realized that, having dumped all of the behavior into the AMI
model, I would need to put an ideal step function into the V-T curves of
the analog IBIS model. And I wasn’t sure that would be a good idea. (I’m
guessing that that would reek havoc in most simulators; is that correct?)

Thanks,

David Banas
Sr. Member Technical Staff
Altera
+1-408-544-7667 - desk

Did you know Altera offers over 150 free online technical training courses?
Take one today!

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

GIF image