[ibis-macro] Re: Question about the sliding window algorithm

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 06:23:31 -0700

Todd and Kumar,

Thanks for your messages.  My conclusion from your words
is that the intent was certainly to support multiple calls
to GetWave.  In fact, the whole purpose of architecting
Init, GetWave and Close the way it is seemed to have
happened to allow multiple calls to GetWave and then do
the Close when it is all over.

However, I can't seem to find much on this in BIRD104.1
and this bothers me.  Please tell me if I am missing
something, but if this is not explained in the BIRD,
consequently in the IBIS specification, we will get
all kinds of models in which people will forget to
write the additional code to make the multiple calls
work properly.

So I would suggest that if we all agree that this should
be a required feature for each AMI model, we should write
some text to spell it out (if this is indeed missing).

The above sentence made me think once again.  Does it
really have to be required?  After all, there is a
parameter called wave_size in the arguments.  But wave_size
and the total length of the waveform may not be the same.
So who decides what the wave_size is, the EDA tool, or
the model?  Seems like the EDA tool when it calls the
GetWave function.  If it was the model, then the model
could tell the EDA tool how to deal with multiple calls.
Should we do something along these lines?

On the other hand, if the capability of doing multiple
calls to GetWave is required, I would also request that
the Cadence Rx model should be updated with that feature
included.  We should set a good example in models which
are used to teach the newcomers to this not so easy
modeling task...