[ibis-macro] Re: Question about cross talk with AMI models

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:07:15 -0500

Arpad-

In general a receiver's Init function should apply the receiver's linear response to the crosstalk impulse responses as well as to the primary channel impulse response; however if the receiver includes DFE, the DFE should only be applied to the primary channel impulse response. We've written a lot of models this way, and it has all worked correctly. We described this is a fair amount of detail in the paper on crosstalk analysis that we gave at DesignCon2009.

Of course, this does mean that the EDA tool has to make the correct assumptions. However, the model behavior I've just described is the only behavior that makes any sense.

(For those who are confused about modeling DFE in the Init function, please see the paper we presented at DesignCon2008.)

Mike S.

On 06/25/2010 04:38 PM, Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
Hello AMI experts,

As I was working on the AMI_flow BIRD, I noticed this sentence
in the description of the impulse_matrix (pg. 185):

| The AMI_Init function may return a modified impulse response by
modifying
| the first column of impulse_matrix.

Knowing that the first column contains the primary channel's
impulse response, and the remaining columns are the aggressor
channels' impulse responses, I began to wonder why the Init
function is not allowed to modify those impulse responses.

I don't recall reading much in the spec about how cross talk
is supposed to be handled.  Is the AMI_Init function supposed
to process the impulse responses of all the aggressors and
combine those somehow with the primary channel's modified impulse
response?  It seems that this should be spelled out in more
detail in the spec, otherwise the EDA tool implementation for
handling cross talk my be different from how the model maker
intended to describe/model the cross talk effects.

I would like to hear comments on this, so we could make the
necessary clarifications to the spec if needed.