[ibis-macro] Re: Package and on-die modeling

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 15:00:06 +0000

While I like the idea of a structured plan, I am not sure
I agree with the content of the plan below.

The problem I see here is what I mentioned many times before.
The plan below is based on specific features and sub-features,
when a single syntax could support everything.  I feel we are
boxing ourselves in by addressing features and usage models
one at the time.

All we need is a specification that allows the user to define,
instantiate and connect their interconnect models.  Whether
they are representing a signal trace or power, coupled or
uncoupled traces, or on-die vs. package parasitics is
irrelevant.  It is only an interconnect no matter what it
represents.  We just need to provide a spec that allows the
user to define it, instantiate it, and connect it.  Let them
decide what the purpose of it is...

Also, I am not sure I like the idea of waiting for IC vendors
to give us an indication for a certain need before we start
discussing how that need could be supported in the specification.
There is usually a huge delay between the time we start discussing
a need and when it becomes available officially in the specification.
In the meantime we end up having "non-compliant" solutions and
models and then the discussions in the IBIS meeting start going
along the lines of "everyone does it this way, so we have to
do it this way in the specification".  In reality, what people
might be doing could be just a "make shift" solution, based on
whatever happens to be tweakable in a certain tool, using all
kinds of forgeries and band aids to get it to work, but we end up
putting these "ill-conceived" practices into the specification
because "everyone is doing it this way".  I don't think this is
the best way of writing a specification...