[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 9 Jul 2013 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:39:26 -0400

Minutes from the 9 Jul 2013 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 09 July 2013

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
                              Julia Liu
                              Hazlina Ramly
Andrew Joy Consulting:        Andy Joy
ANSYS:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
                              Steve Pytel
                              Luis Armenta
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Cavium Networks:              Johann Nittmann
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                      * Michael Mirmak
Maxim Integrated Products:    Mahbubul Bari
                              Hassan Rafat
                              Ron Olisar
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla
                              Ray Anderson

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Arpad: I added a last minute agenda item
- Walter: I would like time to discuss Resolve_Dependency

- None

- Fangyi to add Tx_DCD example to BIRD 155
  - Radek: There was discussion of not using Usage Out
  - Fangyi: It is done, but it is an Rx example

Interconnect update:
- Walter: Time used for editorial work
- Arpad: We can drop this standing agenda item

Usage Out for Jitter parameters:
- Walter: There was objection to those parameters being Out.
  - The idea was that there was nothing the tool could do with them.
  - I think it was the wrong decision.
  - It is now deprecated.
  - SiSoft believes Out should be allowed.
- Fangyi: Agree, as long as the note about it is sent out.
- Radek: Is it too late to change for 6.0?
- Michael M: This would be unapproving an approved change?
- Radek: Yes.
- Walter: This should be legitimate by our rules.
  - It may delay 6.0 due to voting schedule.
- Bob: It would be better in 6.0.
- Walter: Approving it at the next open forum would speed up the process.
- Walter motioned for the group to approve such a BIRD in advance.
- Arpad: Where there other reasons to take that Out?
- Walter: No, we might find out more from the minutes.
- Mike L: I could not find anything in the minutes.
- Todd: It may have been something about changing the course of the simulation.
- Arpad: That would apply to Model_Specific, but these are Reserved.
- Todd: I think you are right.
- Ambrish: In the minutes Walter said only RX_Noise should be Out.
  - Did that make it to the spec?
- Bob: Rx_Noise can be Out.
  - Rx_Sensitivity is Info or Out, a carryover from 5.1.
- Ambrish: The minutes say Ken objected to jitter being Out.
- Walter: A Nov 2011 draft allowed Out, a Dec draft did not.
- Arpad: Would Out be allowed for GetWave and Init?
- Bob: We should allow it for both.
- Walter withdrew his motion.

AR: Ambrish ask Ken Willis about reasons for jitter not being Usage Out
AR: Walter draft BIRD to allow Usage Out for jitter

Resolve_Dependency BIRD 155:
- Walter: Some times we want parameters to depend on corner or model name.
  - AMI_Init does not have corner or model name as an input.
  - We could allow passing input parameters.
- Ambrish: They could be Model_Specific.
- Walter: Corner can be, but not model name.
- Fangyi: Isn't the AMI root the model name?
- Walter: No you can't count on that.
- Todd: The root is supposed to be the model name.
- David: That is not correct.
- Walter: There may be other possible solutions.
- David: It should be resolved in the final version of this BIRD.
- Arpad: Each [Model Selector] entry has a unique name.
- David: But they usually all call the same DLL.

Eye mask definitions:
- Arpad showed a presentation on eye mask definitions.
- Arpad: Eyes have both width and height requirements.
  - We lack timing for setup and hold checks.
  - Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity only lets us bound top and bottom.
  - A full eye mask would let us check setup and hold.
  - These standards usually stay away from things in the core itself.
  - It is not clear where Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity applies.
  - The core logic is not part of AMI, but Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity may apply to
it.
  - Some people think it applies at the analog model.
- Michael M: Is an eye mask just for a pass/fail check?
- Arpad: Yes, but also margins.
- David: Some people inject jitter and watch for failure.
  - This is an indirect measurement.
  - If you do both this and check CDR at the slicer you are double counting.
- Walter: There is a fundamental difference between eye opening and
Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity.
  - Eye opening is slightly related.
  - It is usually a rule for compliance to a specific standard.
  - For DDR4 JEDEC has nomenclature for eye width and height.
  - In SerDes eye masks are measurement masks, built into scopes.
- Ambrish: Is there a compliance requirement?
- Michael M: It is advantageous to have a compliance check that avoid getting
into inner details.
- Arpad: This is similar to Vinh/Vinl.
  - We know the real chip will have smaller hysteresis.
  - We can put in spec numbers or actual device numbers.
- Walter: Model makers will want to put in spec numbers.
  - Some people will want actual operation though.
- Ambrish: AMI models are not made for a specific spec.
- Michael M: We could take a kit style approach with different kit types.
- Arpad: Do we agree we want this?
- David: How else would anyone characterize jitter without double counting?
- Ambrish: The jitter parameters handle that.
- Walter: Sometimes we get negative RJs.
  - There probably will be a BIRD for DDR4.
  - There are no timing constraints and no Vref.
  - It will be done in legacy IBIS.
- Michael M: I would like to see an eye mask option.
  - This came up at a 2008 Asia summit.
  - It should ideally be compatible with AMI.
- Arpad: There would be voltage, time, and BER in the definition.
- Fangyi: That would be for pass/fail, BER would not be needed.
- Arpad: A BER would give a minimum to pass.
- Ambrish: The tool figures out BER.
- Michael M: Vinh/Vinl give a concept of voltages to guarantee latching, not
actual performance.
- Todd: We agree with David, it is baked into jitter.

Next meeting: 16 July 2013 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives