[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 8 Apr 2008 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:47:22 -0400

Minutes from the 8 Apr 2008 ibis-atm meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Walter update BIRD 107 based on feedback, coordinate with EDA
vendors

My laptop crashed during the meeting, and I had to switch to ... paper.
Attendees please let me know if I missed anything while digging paper
out of my recycle bin and testing pens to find one that still works.

Meeting date: 08 Apr 2008

Members (asterisk for those attending):
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  G*** Guan, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar, Cadence Design Systems
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
  Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
* Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft

- No one declared a patent.

-----
Opens:

None.

- Cadence and SiSoft BIRDify the Use_Init_Output param proposal
  - Done

- Todd send presentation to Mike L.
  - Done

- Mike L: post Todd's IBIS-ATM BIRD Update presentation to web
  - Done

- David Banas report Xilinx position on LTI assumption for SerDes
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
  for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
  parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
  - [External ...] also?
  - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
  - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Walter showed a presentatation on BIRD 104.1:
- Slide 3:
  - AMI_Init() is required to call AMI_Getwave(), because AMI_Getwave()
    is passed private data from AMI_Init()
- Slide 6:
  - Michael M & Arpad: Should the output of RX Init say "With TX(EQ) and
RX(EQ)"?
    - No, without Getwave the RX(EQ) is not known.
  - This comes from IBM:
    - RX Init must not modify it's impulse response.
    - Opens the door for different results time domain vs. freq domain
  - Todd: there is a parameter to say if the impulse response is modified:
    - Init_Returns_Impulse
- Arpad: Output of TX Init is discarded?
  - No, it sets initial conditions for Getwave (tap coefficients, for example)
  - Helps to reduce number of bits needed to converge
- Slide 7:
  - Change RX(Peaking) to RX(LTI Filter)
  - Customer-driven arrangement
  - Todd: Output of RX Init is at the decision point
  - Change title to "RX Init does LTI Filter, RX Getwave does Non-LTI Filter"
- Slide 9:
  - We need to have parameters to cover all possible use of the "structure"
  - Users will eventually require them
  - Arpad: specs should not define usage models
    - Walter: the software has to know what the inputs are
- Walter: It is a mistake to include RX Filter in Getwave, but some will do it
  - Using params will allow these "non-obvious" uses without trouble.

- Bob: This will be introduced as a new BIRD
  - The IBIS Open Forum should wait to include BIRD 107 in 5.0
  - The 5.0 time frame is 2-3 more meetings
  - BIRD 107.1 is scheduled for a vote at the Apr 25 meeting (unannounced)
  - It may be 107.2 that is voted on
  - BIRDs must wait at least 2 weeks after submission to be voted.

- The BIRD will be cleaned up and reviewed for next ATM meeting
  - SiSoft will coordinate with Cadence and Mentor
- If it can be submitted this Friday, do it
  - We might continue the interconnect discussion next meeting if so

AR: Walter update BIRD 107 based on feedback, coordinate with EDA vendors

Next meeting: 15 April 2007 12:00pm PT