[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 30 Apr 2013 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:46:31 -0400

Minutes from the 30 Apr 2013 ibis-atm meeting are attached. Thanks to
Curtis Clark for taking minutes and Arpad for editing.

Meeting date: 30 Apr 2013

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
                              Julia Liu
                              Hazlina Ramly
Andrew Joy Consulting:        Andy Joy
ANSYS:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
                              Steve Pytel
                              Luis Armenta
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Cavium Networks:              Johann Nittmann
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                      * Michael Mirmak
Maxim Integrated Products:    Mahbubul Bari
                              Hassan Raghat
                              Ron Olisar
Mentor Graphics:              John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                              Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla
                              Ray Anderson

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Curtis to take the minutes.

A Cut & Paste error was noticed by Arpad and described in an email:
- Arpad: GetWave_Exists and Use_Init_Output have identical definitions.
  - This is on page 185.
  - Do we need a BIRD to fix it?
- Walter: Bob pointed out that it is a typo correction.
  - The Editorial Committee can handle it.
- Arpad: Do we need to tell them what to write?
- Walter: We can trust them to fix it.
- Michael: There is a "known issues" text file.
  - It is in the same directory as the 5.1 spec.
  - We can update the text in that file.
  - There is no need for a BIRD.
  - Changes are noted for editorial revision.
- Bob:  I agree with Michael
  - I don't agree with Ambrish's proposed change.
- Arpad: What is it?  (recent reply to Arpad's email)
- Michael: Page 177, <value>
  - "Single value data.  The user may assign any value..."
  - Not sure of Ambrish's objection.
- Ambrish: The description is inaccurate.
  - Who is the "user"?
- Michael: Oh, user vs. model maker?
- Ambrish: It's not clear.
- Bob: It was a cleanup of the complete mess in 5.0.
- Radek: It would be good to see it (show the text on the screen).
- Arpad: Should we look into this now?
- Walter: Let the Editorial Committee handle it.
- Arpad: Okay, let's move on.

- None

- Arpad to submit BIRD 160.1 to the IBIS Open Forum.
  - done

- Arpad to check if BIRD 158 can be incorporated in BIRD 116-118 as
  a shortcut syntax.
  - done

- Walter to write new BIRD for [Repeater/Retimer Pin] keywords.
  - in progress

IBIS Interconnect Teleconference update:
- Michael: (short summary of the last Teleconference).
  - Continuing review of EMD.
  - Five specific issues under discussion.

Current BIRD Discussions:
- Arpad: Which ones should we look at first?  I'm open to suggestions.
  - Fangyi, Radek, can we get an update on Repeater and Dependency BIRDs?
  - Walter had asked for the Labels BIRD to be discussed.
- Walter: I think we should limit discussions to topics for IBIS 6.0.
- Radek: Redriver is the first one to worry about for 6.0.
- Fangyi: (summary of the current state of the Redriver BIRD 156)
  - Approach is specifically for AMI, not legacy IBIS SPICE simulations.
  - Consensus via email discussions was to restrict the BIRD to AMI for now.
  - Require [Algorithmic Model] keyword in [Model] section.
- Ambrish: That doesn't inform the user that it is only for AMI.
- Fangyi: Would it be a statement of intent?
- Michael:  Illegal to use without AMI (so the parser can flag it).
  - It is much easier to remove a restriction later than to add one.
  - Place the AMI only restriction on for now, and we can lift it later.
- Fangyi: Agree, would a comment saying AMI is required be sufficient?
- Bob/Michael: No, it needs to be something the parser can use.
- Fangyi: If we limit the scope to AMI we can merge the two BIRDS.
  - [Repeater Pin] is required.  (from BIRD 131)
- Michael: If repeater pin is not AMI, then FAIL.
- Walter: There are two pins (Tx/Rx), each must use AMI models.
- Ambrish: Wouldn't a separate [Model] type be more elegant.
- Radek: Nothing to be gained.
  - [Repeater Pin] gives you two pins.
- Michael: [Repeater Pin] does it, or you could do it at the [Model] level.
  - For example, introduce a new [Series MOSFET] type model.
- Walter: Repeater models of this form are already out there.
  - Ambrish, if you have your own proposal, draft your own BIRD.
- Ambrish: I'm just asking for discussion/clarification.
- Michael: Everything done in this proposal is based on re-use of [Model].
  - [Repeater Pin] would say:
    - Treat these 2 pins as a single unit.
    - They both have to be AMI models (at this time).
- Radek: There is no need to restrict them to AMI or "error out."
  - For legacy applications, use them the way they always have been.
- Michael: Analogous to [Driver Schedule]
  - It ties models together, but they can be used independently.
- Radek: It is even simpler.
- Ambrish: No, you can't do that.
- Radek: Repeater is not applied to legacy sims, but the [Models] can be.
- Walter: I'll be working on a write-up for a more fundamental issue.
  - Repeater flow has fundamental Tx, Rx pairs.
  - Each pair uses the classic IBIS impulse response calculation.
  - But how does the EDA tool analyze the whole channel for BER?
  - Problems could arise for the tool during end to end flow.
    - Each primary pair (Tx,Rx) uses GetWave() or doesn't.
    - Could easily end up with hundreds of possible combinations of flow.
  - Working on a document to simplify and explain it.
- Arpad: I'm thinking about the timeline.
  - Need at least one more revision of this.
  - Deadline is June, 7, and we need to be in two weeks before that.
  - Who is taking ARs to do what?
- Walter: I'll do a flow document for retimers/redrivers for next meeting.
  - I'm not concerned with combining the existing BIRDs (editorial task).
- Radek: Could we approve and forward them to the Open Form next meeting?
- Walter: Reference flow is needed, it's currently unclear.
- Fangyi: My BIRD says, "flow is the same as 5.1".
- Walter: I know you said that, and I actually understand what you mean.
  - But, does everyone here understand the subtleties?
  - I could give an example next week and see what everyone does.
  - How does Rx communicate with Tx?
- Ambrish: What do you mean?
- Walter: How do you get the input to the Redriver Tx?
  - What if one uses Init() and one uses GetWave()?
- Arpad: We (5.1) have a flow for each "half" channel.
- Walter: Fangyi does describe the flow based on the 5.1 flow.
  - But, how do we handle various combinations?
  - I know what to do, but we can't assume everyone will.
- Bob: There are undefined terms in the BIRD.
- Fangyi: (sharing text of his latest BIRD revision)
- Walter: Where do you do GetWave()?
- Fangyi: Step 7 in the flow refers back to the 5.1 flow.
- Walter: If Tx GetWave() does not exist, convolve stimulus with
          output of Tx Init().
  - What about the Tx of the Redriver?
- Fangyi: Step 8.
  - Don't generate stimulus for Redriver Tx, it comes from Redriver Rx.
- Walter: Digital vs. Analog stimulus.
  - Taking a long channel and breaking it into individual 5.1 channels.
  - Subtle differences occur.
  - Things get nasty if Tx uses GetWave() and Rx is Init() only.
- Ambrish: No nastier than 5.1.
- Walter: No, it's worse if daisy chaining multiple Redrivers.
  - We should advise not to do Tx GetWave() only with Rx Init() only.
- Fangyi: We solved these issues in 5.1.
- Ambrish: Walter is just saying it's complicated.
- Walter: Fine (if you think everyone understands it).
- Arpad: We still have the AR issue.  Who does what?
- Walter: Fangyi, Rx/Tx [Models] should be referenced in [Repeater Pin].
- Ambrish: Just integrate the two BIRDS (131, 156) into one BIRD.
- Walter: Why not just leave that to the Editorial Committee?
- Radek: Yes, best to go ahead with two separate BIRDs.
  - In Walter's, legacy IBIS ignores all this.
- Bob: I disagree, we should roll them into one BIRD.
- Ambrish: What about differences in flow between Redriver and Retimer?
- Fangyi: Walter and I talked about our differences with Retimer.
  - Our proposal - Stimulus for Tx created by EDA tool sampling Rx output.
- Walter: Retimer document will be ready for next week's meeting.
- Ambrish: What is the other way to do it?
- Walter: The Rx of the Retimer has a CDR.
  - The Rx generates the follow on stimulus for the Tx.
- Ambrish: Oh, Fangyi's doesn't do it that way?
- Walter: We may need another specifier for Redriver vs. Retimer.
- Arpad: Still have my original question.  We need a clear set of ARs.
  - 1. Walter will write up the Retimer BIRD.
  - 2. Merge BIRD 131 with BIRD 156?  Fangyi, can you do that?
- Bob: I think we should combine them so it's complete.
- Ambrish: Agree.
- Walter: We should maintain 3 separate BIRDS.
  - The Retimers BIRD changes IBIS sections.
  - The Redrivers BIRDs only affect AMI.
- Arpad: Are BIRDs 131 and 156 likely to get opposite approval votes?
- Walter: No, they both will pass.
  - If they don't, then the Open Forum can still vote down what results.
  - Why bother with the effort to merge them now?
  - I won't do it.  Fangyi can do it if he wants to spend his time.
- Ambrish: They should just be combined.
- Radek: Walter is right.
  - If you combine them, then it will be more difficult to do Retimers.
  - Leave them separate.
- Bob: Then how do you link BIRD 156 to [Repeater Pin] (BIRD 130)?
- Radek: The only consequence is ambiguity and extra choice for the user.
- Bob: We don't want the ambiguity in IBIS.
  - We need the explicit ties between the BIRDs.
- Ambrish: I have to leave now (just past 4PM).
- Walter: I'm not wasting any more time on this discussion.  Good bye.
- Arpad: Unfortunately, no ARs came out of that final discussion.
  - We'll have to see how this work falls out in the coming week.
- Arpad: If there are no other questions, this is a good stopping point.

New ARs:

AR: Walter working on clearer flow document for Redrivers.
    (Was this idea abandoned?)

Next meeting: 7 May 2013 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) BIRD 131 and BIRD 156
2) BIRD 154, Leaf Labels in List Parameters
3) Task list item discussions.

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives