[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 3 May 2008 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:32:37 -0400

Minutes from the 3 May 2008 ibis-atm meeting are attached ARs:

AR: Mike change "Application" to "Algorithmic" on web site

Meeting date: 03 Jun 2008

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
* Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
* David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Fangyi Rao, ???
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, Agilent
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
* Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
* Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
* Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
* Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
* Zhen Mu, Cadence Design Systems

- No one declared a patent.

-----
Opens:

- Arpad: What does AMI stand for?
  - Algorithmic Model Interface or Application Model Interface?
  - The BIRD 104 does not expand the acronym
  - Kumar's original proposal uses

AR: Mike change "Application" to "Algorithmic" on web site

- Walter prepare list of primitives for discussion next week

- David Banas report Xilinx position on LTI assumption for SerDes
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
  for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
  parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
  - [External ...] also?
  - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
  - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Todd presented IBIS-AMI Terminology Proposal:
- Use of "h" terminology implies that Init and getWave results are
  derived from convolution
  - But GetWave may be non-linear, convolution operator may not apply
- In non-linear system the order of operations matters
- Better to use function terminlogy.
- The convolution operator symbol is a problem in email, etc.
  - Better to use "*" for convolution
  - Functions like G_teg()
- Various cases of TX and RX processing
  - Different arrangements have different waveform distortion
- Question: What is TX EQ a function of?
- Todd: TX_GetWave is motly not needed
  - Richard: Not true, there are plenty of non-linear TX devices
- Arpad was right: this relates to our execution order discussion
- Todd: Only a problem when RX_GetWave() has Use_Init_Results = TRUE
- Arpad: Should this be discussed at the summit?
  - Todd: Three presentations on terminology need to be merged.
- Arpad: Will the functions always use convolution?
  - Todd: Can test linearity by changing convolution order.
  - Walter: LTI is assumed when using Init output
- Arpad: Where will this be used?
  - Todd: A BIRD would be a lot of work
    - We can use it in our own documents for now
- Convolution symbol could be "(*)" or "(x)"
  - Bob: Or "@"
- Anders: This is introduced to distinguish between LTI and non-LTI

Next meeting: 17 Jun 2008 12:00pm PT