[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 28 Aug 2007 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte \(milabont\)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:10:09 -0400

Minutes from the 28 Aug 2007 ibis-atm meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Ambrish send updated BIRD 1.2 version to group
AR: All review BIRD proposal before this Friday

Meeting date: 28 Aug 2007

Members (asterisk for those attending):
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
* Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar, Cadence Design Systems
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
  Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft

No one declared a patent.

-----

- SiSoft will propose a new reserved_parameter keyword table
  - TBD

- Ambrish: Send updated AMI BIRD proposal
  - Done

- Write parameter passing syntax proposal for a possible BIRD
  a) Propose a parameter passing syntax for AMI models
  b) IBIS spec should allow parameter value assignment for
     *-AMS using a syntax that is consistent with the
     parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  c) Allow parameter passing for SPICE [External ...] also?
     - Berkeley SPICE does not handle paraeters at all.
     - Walter proposed handling this with a preprocessor

- Ian: send relevant papers on related IEEE work
  - TBD

- Arpad: Review the new macro library files.
  - TBD

We affirmed that the "electrically isolated" AR has been done.

- Cadence AMI toolkit status:
  - Hemant should be distributing it by the end of the week

- Discussion of BIRD proposal:
  - Ambrish: Should it be TXT or PDF?
    - Bob: The BIRD should be TXT until the IBIS spec is PDF.
    - Michael M.: We can send both TXT and PDF.
  - The BIRD will be submitted by email, can be any time.
    - Michael M.: It must be available 2 weeks before a vote takes place.
    - Michael M.: BIRDs require a 3 meeting comment period.
    - Bob: Actually only standard changes require this.
      - BIRDs can be revised until voted into a standard.
      - Subsequent BIRDs might "touch it" and force changes.
  - Michael M.:
    - A change like parameter passing might be a big change.
    - There may be a lot of discussion.
    - We must consider all of the things that should be in IBIS 5.0.
  - Bob: other things will be in IBIS 5.0:
    - ICM
    - BIRD 98 (gate modulation)
    - BIRD 95 (power delivery)
  - Ambrish: It sounds like it may take a year before IBIS 5.0 comes out
    - Michael M.: EDA vendors can implement any time
  - Bob: Does the proposal ask for a new section following section 6?
    - Changes for [External Circuit] etc. are confined to a section 6a.
    - Trying to disperse the language may trigger editorial discussions.
    - Spreading it out would require forward links.
    - A new section 6b would be better.
  - Ambrish: Maybe we could use [External Model] instead of [Algorithmic Model]
    - Bob: The syntax is different.
    - Arpad: We could add a subparameter to [External Model].
  - We can send this BIRD soon and discuss at the next open forum Sep 21.
  - Arpad will send final BIRD to Michael M. by Sep 7.
  - Bob: The proposal should have people names, not just companies.

AR: Ambrish send updated BIRD 1.2 version to group
AR: All review BIRD proposal before this Friday

There will be a meeting next week, although some members will be travelling.

Next meeting: 4 Sep 2007 12:00pm PT