[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 20 May 2008 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:02:00 -0400

Minutes from the 20 May 2008 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 20 May 2008

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
* Brad Brim, Sigrity
* Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
* Fangyi Rao, ???
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
* Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
* Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
* Zhen Mu, Cadence

- No one declared a patent.

-----

- Walter send "ICM vs EMC" to Mike for web posting
  - Done

- Michael Mirmak list pros and cons of ICM and EMD
  - No update

- David Banas report Xilinx position on LTI assumption for SerDes
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
  for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
  parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
  - [External ...] also?
  - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
  - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Issues found with Cadence RX model:
- Results not correct when GetWave() called multiple times.
- Arpad: Do we agree that GetWave() allows multiple calls?
  - Yes, general agreement.
- Arpad: Should we clarify the documentation?
  - Todd: We may not need a BIRD right now.
- Terry: Our tool supports multiple calls, but the RX is just a sample.
  - This will be fixed eventually.
  - It will not be done in a few weeks, but will not take years either.
- Arpad: This may mislead users
- Terry Better documentation should eliminate the confusion
- Bob: Documentation is a good starting point
  - Others can contribute more sample models.
- Arpad: We may be able to create a sample model, but not right now.
- Arpad: Should the model be taken down from the web site?
  - No

Michael M: What should the scope be for a standardized spice?
- Arpad: It would be foolish to start a new SPICE from scratch
  - Don Telian had proposed building from Berkeley SPICE
- Michael M: We should start by deciding feature sets, not syntax
- Walter: in Berkeley SPICE we have:
  1) topology netlist
  2) options and controls
  - We should discuss only the topology part
- Michael M: We need to draw a line where topology ends
- Arpad: we get these issues figuring out how to connect IBIS with ICM
- Don T proposal was to model active circuits
- Mike L: What we are discussion sounds similar to our macro library
- Sam: We need active components to create mutual resistor
  - Walter: Then we should simply define a mutual resistor
  - Bob: But there is no reason to exclude controlled sources
  - Michael M: So we need to define primitives?
    - Using lower level elements is more flexible, more enduring
  - IBIS should have defined a language, not a format

Terry: Was the agenda for the last meeting sent?
- Michael M: It was sent to ibis-users
- Terry: Could agendas be posted to the web site?
  - Michael M: Updates are too slow

Next meeting: 27 May 2008 12:00pm PT