[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 20 Mar 2012 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:52:58 -0400

Minutes from the 20 Mar 2012 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 20 March 2012

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                      Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
Ansys:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                              Curtis Clark
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
LSI Logic:                    Wenyi Jin
Maxim Integrated Products:  * Mahbubul Bari
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:     * Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                * James Zhou
Sigrity:                      Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla

The meeting was lead by Arpad Muranyi

- None

- None

- Mike post GetWave_Exists presentation to work archive
  - Done

- Arpad send suggested GetWave_Exists wording changes to 5.1 editorial group
  - Done

- Arpad to write a new revision of BIRD 117 and 118 to generalize references
  to parameters in files (.ami or any)
  - in progress

- Ambrish update BIRD 145 for pad to pin mapping and other clarifications
  - Need to say what it will not solve
  - in progress

Arpad: We need to know if [External Model] allows additional nodes

BIRD 144:
- Ambrish: Feras could not make it today, would prefer to defer
- Arpad: The complexity of this originally simple proposal is growing
  - The value is becoming questionable
- Ambrish: This could be discussed by email
- Walter: Does BIRD 144 add something beyond what ISS has?
- Ambrish: It eliminates the need for the ISS subcircuit
  - Some cases might be handled by direct association

BIRD 145:
- Arpad: We spent a whole meeting on this
- Walter: The idea is to model all on-die circuits between a single buffer
[Model] and pad?
  - A bank of 96 SerDes buffers can share the same power circuit
- Ambrish: We should discuss this by email
- James: We concluded that 5.0 already allows using [External Circuit] for
power dist
  - Page 136 has an example circuit with a PDN
  - There are some pin mapping issues, but BIRD 145 does not resolve that
  - The diagram shows 2 buffers connected to 1 circuit, there could be more
- Arpad: Agree, this BIRD introduces cascading models
  - Tools may have trouble telling which model in the circuit goes to a certain
pin
- Walter: A package model can model a slice of the package
  - You have a similar problem there too
- Arpad: That is a more general problem that BIRD 145 need not address

Arpad showed "The AMI analog model" from 25 Jan 2011:
- Arpad: Are the isolation amplifiers needed?
  - Input signals are often from ideal sources anyway
  - Output signals usually have no load
  - Scott McMorrow had insisted on these
    - No recent supporting arguments
- Walter: These are not needed
- Mike: We should state that input sources and output loads must be ideal
- Bob: The  language could be made technically equivalent to the amplifiers
- Walter: The simulator can add them only where needed
- James: Something needs to terminate the left side block
  - Terry drew a circuit with a current driver and 50 ohm load
  - That is not backward isolated
- Arpad: The EDA tool can figure this out
- James: The question is what information to give the tool
- Radek: This goes back to AMI methodology
  - The analog part is a single transfer function
  - We need a non-ideal source with a certain impedance
  - It can be communicated in the spec
- Arpad: It could be included in an ISS subcircuit
  - Once a non-ideal source is specified you can't override it
- Bob: Is the outlined box the s-param itself?
- Radek: That could be other circuit types
- Walter: If termination is needed it will be in the ISS subcircuit
- Arpad: They can add linear gain elements too
- James: Why have the unity gain amp then?
- Arpad: To assure that there are no boundary condition requirements
- James: A real IC could not have that
  - The signals on the left are AMI_Getwave output?
- Walter: Yes
- Radek: The amplifier after an ideal source adds no value
- Bob: An s-param might have some input impedance
  - We can't leave it for the tool to calculate
- Walter: It is the responsibility of the model maker to specify the input
- James: It will be difficult to model Terry's circuit
- Walter: The unity gain amplifier can be in the subcircuit
- James: Can ISS model amplifiers with arbitrary impedance?
- Walter: Yes
- Arpad: Thevenin equivalents are easy
- James: IBIS has not specified that
- Arpad: We decided in Jan to have no analog model between Getwave and
convolution
- James: The flow shows Getwave connected to the analog model
- Arpad: That is the impulse response
- Walter: Engineers will come to the conclusion that it can be done that way
- James: Why show the signals being input to the ISS block?
- Arpad: We can take out these amplifiers and define the inputs and outputs
- Bob: You don't know if you need the amplifier or not
- James: Model makers will know when to put it in
  - The spec just needs to have everything that might be needed
- Bob: An s-param block might not be interchangeable with an RC block
  - That needs to be spelled out
- James: There is a question whether or not that needs to be spelled out
- Bob: I will send a mathematical discussion to the group

Next meeting: 27 Mar 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List: