[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 20 Jan 2015 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:02:10 -0500

Minutes from the 20 Jan 2015 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 20 January 2015

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Altera:                     * David Banas
ANSYS:                      * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Avago (LSI)                   Xingdong Dai
Cadence Design Systems:     * Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM                           Steve Parker
Intel:                      * Michael Mirmak
Keysight Technologies:      * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
eASIC                         Marc Kowalski
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Synopsys                      Rita Horner
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Labs:             * Bob Ross

(Note: Agilent has changed to Keysight)

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi.

- Arpad: Hoping Michael Mirmak will be able to give the ATM summit presentation.
  - I will not be there.

- None

- Arpad to review IBIS spec for min max issues.
  - In progress.

Co-optimization:

- Todd showed IBIS-AMI and Co-Optimization.
- Todd: I'll just explain the changed slides.
- slide 5:
  - Todd: This describes all 3 scenarios on one slide.
  - Ambrish: No simulator involvement except messaging for 1 and 2?
  - Todd: Correct, but the simulator has to know when training ends.
  - Ambrish: It is the same for 1 and 2.
  - Todd: 1 and 2 are functionally the same.
  - Arpad: There may be a big difference in what is simulated.
  - Todd: But 1 and 2 use the same plumbing.
  - Ambrish: Should it be 1a and 1b?
  - Todd: I have no preference.
  - Mike: 1 and 2 differ regarding GetWave and Init.
  - Walter: We are mixing functional and user requirements.
    - One BIRD can be agnostic whether we are doing 1 or 2.
  - Todd: We should move on and come back to this.
- slide 6:
  - Todd: The point about local and global optima has been removed.
- slide 7:
  - Todd: Need to be clear it has to support industry protocols.
- slide 10:
  - Todd: Calling this Simulator Based Co-Optimization now.
    - Important to note that meta-data must be supplied.
- slide 17:
  - Todd: An algorithm outside the RX knows how to explore TX settings.
    - The blue boxes around things are gone.
    - Those functions have to exist but we don't care how and where.
- slide 19:
  - Todd: Scenario 3 has different combinations of models that don't know how
to communicate optimization
- slide 20:
  - Todd: In 3a The RX thinks it is participating.
    - The simulator is taking over for the TX, communicating with the RX.
    - The meta-data helps the simulator do that.
- slide 21:
  - Todd: In 3b The TX is participating , simulator takes over for RX.
- slide 22:
  - Todd: In 3c The simulator takes over for both.

- Todd: I propose presenting these slides at the summit.

- slide 21:
  - Fangyi: Please explain the 3 levels.
  - Todd explained the Simulate, Self-Optimize, and Co-Optimize functions.
    - Slide 15 explains the case where models do not change settings during
simulation.
    - In slide 16 the RX changes its settings automatically.
  - Fangyi: We support that today.
    - The blue box shows what is in the RX, right?
    - Note the TX can also do self-optimization.
  - Todd: On slide 18 we have the co-optimization function added in.
    - The 3 bands show that these functions must exist no matter where they are.
  - Fangyi: There may be too many colors here.
- slide 20:
  - Fangyi: Yellow color should be used for the parts that the simulator does.
  - Radek: It would be good to have the requirements listed independent of
scenarios.
    - There may be 10 to 20 requirements.
    - The scenarios are affected by what the models have.
  - Todd: We may start looping back on ourselves.

- Arpad: Could we add slides for what our meeting goals are?
  - You were hoping for consensus by the time of the summit.
  - We may want feedback on this at the summit.
- Todd: We do want that.
- Ambrish: Are these requirements presented as what we agree to?
  - We may not agree on scenario 3, it can wait.
  - What do we expect of the audience?
- Walter: The TX configurator is a requirement from David Banas.
  - Radek asked for the EDA tool to participate in co-optimization.
  - Who does not support scenario 3c?
- Ambrish: We believe that can wait.
- David: If and RX and EDA tool can do this, the pressure is put on the TX to
support it.
  - A legacy TX model should not obstruct the process.
- Todd: This suggests 3b is important.
- Arpad: If we do 3a, 3b and 3c fall out of it.
- Radek: Agree.
- Ambrish: Can we have a debate that this is not as important?
- Arpad: We seem to have support for scenario 3 now.
- Ambrish: Six months ago we had support for a proposal without this.

- Walter motioned to vote on supporting 3a, 3b, and 3c.
  - SiSoft would propose a BIRD if it passes.
- Todd: We should bring this to a wider audience at the summit first.
- Arpad: Is the BIRD for all scenarios?
- Walter: Yes, all requirements in this presentation.
- Arpad: Feedback from the audience would be best.
- Walter: Objection: we have the right to propose what we want.
- Arpad: The question is if we are asking the audience for agreement.
- Walter: Ambrish has complained about this process.
- Ambrish: I'm not complaining.
- Todd: This formulation is two weeks old.
  - We need to reduce acrimony.
  - This could be a status report or it could be a request for input.
- Arpad: We have the right to put what we want in a spec, but we need to
  solicit feedback to make sure it is useful to the industry.
- Todd: Agree. If they want it, the need is validated.
- Arpad: Could we have a slide asking for feedback?
- Todd: Yes.
  - We debate here because we are authorized.
  - It will have more meaning if we bring it to a wider audience.
  - If they don't care about it, that is useful input.
  - The first slide can say where we are in the process.
  - The last slide can be a call for feedback.
- Bob: The presentation should be submitted by tomorrow.
- Bob: We can vote after DesignCon.
- Walter withdrew his motion.

- Arpad: There is no need to post this presentation to the ATM archive, it will
be posted for the summit.

Next meeting: 03 Feb 2015 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives