[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 18 Nov 2014 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:01:21 -0500

Minutes from the 18 Nov 2014 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 18 November 2014

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Altera:                     * David Banas
ANSYS:                      * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Avago (LSI)                   Xingdong Dai
Cadence Design Systems:       Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM                           Steve Parker
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Keysight Technologies:      * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
eASIC                         Marc Kowalski
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Synopsys                      Rita Horner
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Labs:             * Bob Ross

(Note: Agilent has changed to Keysight)

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi.

- None

- None

- Arpad send presentation from last week to Mike for posting.
  - Done, no announcement yet.
  - This has updates made during the meeting.

- Arpad send Double Quote BIRD draft to open forum.
  - Done
  - Arpad: There was no discussion in the last meeting,but we can still discuss.

- Todd produce slides for co-optimization requirements discussion.
  - In progress.

- Arpad to review IBIS spec for min max issues.
  - In progress.

C_comp:

- Arpad:
  - We have three options:
    - BIRD 79 or derivatives.
    - Walter's Final Stage Subckt.
    - Arpad's Define Compensation Location.
- Radek: We should avoid the term "compensation location".
  - We should talk about what is included instead.
- Arpad: That is a good point.
  - We were discussing die pads and metalizations.
  - With buffers being separated from die interconnect there is a question
about what is in C_comp.
- Bob: Some of it might be lumped into C_comp.
  - My understanding is that the V-T curves are at the C_comp point.
  - Agree with Radek.
  - V-T compensation looks like a nullification of C_comp.
- Walter: Agree with Radek.
  - We might want to explore T-coils.
  - The intent of those is to reduce the effect of C_comp.
  - There might be a large C_comp at the buffer, but the T-coil reduces that at
the pad.
  - That might help us decide how to move forward.

- Bob: We have a terminator RC network.
- Arpad: It doesn't have a threshold, can't be used for measurement.
  - The issue is C_comp not changing with frequency.
- Bob: The RC might be added in parallel to C_comp.
  - The alternative is to use SPICE.
- Radek: Using RC would be a partial solution.
- Bob: We would have to remove restrictions.
- Walter: For DDR4 ESD just an RC in parallel will do.
- Randy: To match frequency range we might want other elements.

- Arpad: Would s-parameters do?
- Walter: Yes, that would handle anything linear.
- Randy: BIRD 79 puts more burden on the model maker to characterize.
- Arpad: Which of the other two would be better.
- Randy: If we use ISS we still need to define the compensation point.
- Walter: ISS would support Touchstone.
  - Moving the compensation point around is complicated.
  - We should say the V-T curve is at the pad.
- Bob: It depends on on-die interconnect complexity.
- Walter: There is not much crosstalk coupling for on-die interconnect.
  - We can talk about on-die mostly for power distribution.

- Bob: We should define on-die outside of the buffer model.
- Walter: We should consult with Brad Brim about that.
  - There is a question about how to handle local power and grounds.
  - I'm not defending the syntax I've proposed.
- Bob: The final stage is outside the B-element but it can have series and
shunt portions.
- Arpad: The B-element has it's own C_comp compensation.
  - I would prefer a defined topology.
- Walter: It is between the legacy B-element and the die pad.
- Randy: We may have to replace C_comp.
  - We can't separate out capacitance.
- Walter: Then C_comp would be zero.
  - Should we allow final stage subckt and non-zero C_comp?
- Arpad: The tool will have to figure out an algorithm.
  - We would end up with a subckt equivalent in the B-element.
- Walter: There would be two terminals, plus terminals for reference voltages.
- Bob: Walter's idea has merit.
  - The B-element terminal waveform has to be used for compensation.
- Arpad: We would end up with 6 terminals:
  - in and out, and four references.
- Walter: Differential adds two nodes.
  - But not all of them are needed.

- Arpad: Should we use Walter's draft or start from scratch?
- Walter: We should have this discussion in the interconnect group before
deciding.
  - This discussion should be moved to that group.
  - We would want to keep on-die interconnect out of the final stage.
  - Some on-die interconnect should be part of the model.
- Arpad: If multiple buffers are present the on-die interconnect can't be in
the models.
- Randy: Agree.
- Walter: I think that would work.

Redriver Flow BIRD:
- Walter: There is no new progress to discuss.

Meeting schedule:
- Arpad: There is no conflict in November
  - The beginning of December is usually OK too.
  - We will meet next week.

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives