[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 15 Apr 2014 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:33:03 -0400

Minutes from the 15 Apr 2014 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 15 April 2014

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
ANSYS:                      * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Cadence Design Systems:     * Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                            * Kumar Keshavan
                            * Ken Willis
                              Scott Huss
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
LSI                           Amaresh Malipatil
                              Dai Xingdong
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Andrey Matvienko
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Bob: An IBIS-AMI model has been submitted for review,should be discussed.

- Arpad: There is an AMI file topic for clarification.

- None

- Todd provide BIRD 147 with annotated comments
  - Todd and Ken had a discussion in lieu of this.

- Mike post documents from previous meetings.
  - Done

IBIS-AMI file for review:
- Bob: Li Jun submitted a model from an IC vendor.
  - I've contacted the company before releasing this.
  - I can communicate some things the parser finds.
  - This will be distributed to several EDA companies for review.
- Walter: That is not really an IBIS-ATM issue.
- Mike: The IC vendor has to request this.
  - The results probably can not be communicated to Li Jun.

IBIS 6.0 issue:
- Arpad showed IBIS 6 page 187
- Arpad: There is an error giving the hex code for double quotes.
  - Also it does not clarify character set for AMI files.
- Walter: That is a mistake and should be clarified.
  - AMI files should use the same character set as IBS files.

Backchannel:
- Ken: Todd and I were to restate objectives and goals.

- Ken showed High Level Backchannel Summary
- slide 1
  - Ken: SiSoft asked for a larger co-optimization capability.
    - Backchannel is just part of that.
- slide 3
 - Ken: The key capability is communicating adjustments back to the TX.
   - It has to support TX and RX from different vendors.
- slide 4:
  - Ken: There should be minimal churn implementing new protocols.
    - New keywords should not be required.
- slide 5:
 - (architecture overview)
- slide 6:
 - (flow overview)
- slide 7:
  - Ken: Support for statistical simulation has been incorporated into BIRD 147.
- slide 8:
 - Ken: This was first submitted 3 years ago.
   - We need an IBIS standard approach for interoperability.
   - We are willing to consider "bigger picture" proposals from SiSoft.

- Todd: This is much more clear.
  - The diagrams did not show the statistical flow though.
  - It's not obvious how that would fit in.
- Ken: Statistical will not apply to the real hardware anyway.
- Walter: I agree with the flows and functionality.
- Todd: For statistical we envision the RX finding settings in a one-shot
process.
- Ken: The RX Init can send settings to TX Init.
- Walter: RX Init could implement a time domain simulation within itself.
  - We should not limit what the RX can do.
- Ambrish: We are trying to create a multi-vendor solution.
- Walter: I disagree with some of the implementation but not the flow.
- Radek: On slide 6 it would be good to address Walter's suggestion for a new
API.
  - It should be properly defined for training.
- Walter: Cadence and SiSoft have both implemented co-optimization using what
exists.
  - Here we are agreeing on a way to do it.
  - You can propose a new method but we do not intend to.
- Arpad: Does BIRD 147 need more work?
- Walter: I have a presentation?

- Walter showed "Backchannel Co-Optimization Requirements"
- slide 2:
  - Walter: TX and RX behaviors can overlap.
    - For example TX post-cursor and RX CTLE/DFE do the same thing.
    - A balanced solution requires co-optimization.
- slide 3:
  - Walter: The hardware protocol can be emulated.
    - This is what BIRD 147 does.
    - Settings can also be optimized based on performance criteria.
    - System performance can be verified once settings are found.
    - BER and operating margin are common measures.
    - The SerDes settings must result from this.
  - Ken: #1 and #2 are not exclusive?
  - Walter: The silicon could optimize using the protocol.
  - Ken: The model can make any judgment it wants.
  - Todd: In this context the RX can do whatever it wants.
  - Kumar: The protocol only specifies communication.
- slide 4
  - (list of 7 requirements)
  - Walter: BIRD 147 does not address item #4, what it is optimized to.
    - There should be limits on tap indexes.
    - The DLL and AMI to not need to have register mappings, but they should
enable it.
    - All possible combinations of statistical and TD should be supported.
  - Ambrish: The AMI parameters are not directly tied to the back-channel?
  - Walter: It would be good to identify AMI parameters that correspond to tap
  - Todd: We need a plan to do all of these things.
    - The training emulation identifies the starting point.
    - We must specify these things or it will not happen.
  - Ken: Does slide 4 have requirements for the spec or the tool, or both?
  - Todd: This is for the spec plus what the tools can do to provide a solution.
- slide 5:
 - (list of flows)
 - Walter: Statistical co-optimization could be follow by TD co-optimization,
then statistical and TD simulation
   - This should all be in one BIRD.
 - Ambrish: The 3rd bullet is not clear.
 - Fangyi: How are optimal taps sent back to the TX?
 - Walter: In TD it uses GetWave AMI_parameters_out.
 - Fangyi: How are TX taps passed to the TX in statistical?
 - Walter: The RX finds tap coefficients.
   - First the RX knows the TX equalization.
   - This assumes a trainable TX.
   - This will have pre and post cursor taps, maybe more post.
   - The TX may not be capable of using the coefficients from the RX.
   - Another pass is needed to have the TX make recommendations based on what
it can do.
 - Ambrish: The 2nd and 3rd bullets are in the BIRD.
   - The rest is a wish list.
   - We have most of it now.
  - Walter: The BIRD requires a common protocol.
    - We believe the TX could be protocol-agnostic.
    - The protocol would be all in the RX.
    - There are some things I don't know how to do with BIRD 147.

- Todd: We need to step back and look at requirements.
  - It might not require a big change from what Cadence is doing.
  - We should look at our two sets of requirements to check the alignment.
- Ken: The register settings can be done in AMI Model_Specific.
- Walter: Can we look at what I'm proposing?
- Todd: We specify some things that vendors don't do.
  - For example the samples per bit requirement.
- Ken: We have put best practice items into cookbooks in the past.
- Todd: It hasn't worked well enough.
- Ambrish: More regulation is not the answer, we should let the market decide.
- Kumar: At best the TX can output coefficients.
  - The protocol is very device specific.
- Todd: We have hope on slide 4 requirement #4.
- Ambrish: I think we can do that.
- Walter: We are not looking at big changes.
  - There are only 3 tap parameters to deal with, coefficients, increments, and
  - With this BIRD an RX can only send increments.
  - There should be Reserved_Parameters, not the overhead of a BCI file.
  - That will require some group to validate BCI files.
- Ambrish: How will the RX know how to send the data?
- Walter: We only need to identify which parameter is coefficient, increment,
and index.
- Todd: We seem to have more common ground now.

- Bob: Does SiSoft intend to propose replacing BIRD 147?
- Walter: I would like a new BIRD without no BCI file.
- Todd: We have to discuss this more at SiSoft.

Next meeting: 22 April 2014 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives