[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 14 Aug 2007 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte \(milabont\)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:49:06 -0400

Minutes from the 14 Aug 2007 ibis-atm meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Mike L. send email list of active participants to Todd and Arpad
AR: Michael M tentatively put the BIRD on the open forum agenda

Meeting date: 14 Aug 2007

Members (asterisk for those attending):
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
* David Banas, Xilinx
* Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
* Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
* Ian Dodd
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
* Kumar, Cadence Design Systems
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
* Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
* Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
  Walter Katz, SiSoft

No one declared a patent.

-----
Opens:

Bob asked to discuss China summit presentations

- Todd clarify "electrically isolated" in BIRD
  - TBD

- Write parameter passing syntax proposal for a possible BIRD
  a) Propose a parameter passing syntax for AMI models
  b) IBIS spec should allow parameter value assignment for
     *-AMS using a syntax that is consistent with the
     parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  c) Allow parameter passing for SPICE [External ...] also?
  - Will be discussed today

- Arpad clarify text of "parameter passing syntax" AR
  - Done

- Arpad: Review the new macro library files.
  - TBD

- Ian send relevant papers on related IEEE work
  - TBD

- Todd update Asia summit presentation
  - Done

AMI Reference toolkit testing progress:
- Cadence received DLL model from SiSoft
  - Able to read waveforms from GetWave()
  - Couldn't test clock output from GetWave()
    - Waveforms went from 0 to 1
    - DLL expected zero-centered waveforms
    - Agreed that zero-centered waveforms will be used
- SiSoft test Cadence DLL
  - Worked as expected

Asia summit presentation:
- Todd will update one of the Asia summit slides to reflect success
- Hemant asked for waveforms from testing in the presentation
- Slides have to be done today
  - Bob: just update one slide and ship it
- Todd: Japan presentation might have more slides than China

AMI Toolkits:
- Todd has set up a freelists email reflector for free toolkit support
  - This is to avoid support traffic on ibis-macro reflector
  - People in this call would like to be subscribed
  - Maybe one reflector could subscribe to the other
  - Todd can add email addresses if given a list
- There will be kits from both Cadence and SiSoft
- Free kits can not be guaranteed
- Will the IBIS committee get the kits?
  - IBIS might want a parser, but these are test programs
- Michael M: Version control is important

AR: Mike L. send email list of active participants to Todd and Arpad

AMI BIRD Status:
- Hemant: We should be ready to take the BIRD to the IBIS open forum
  - Next open forum meeting is 24 Aug
  - Bob: It is best to be sure it is ready before doing this
  - Michael M: There will be 3 calls for comment
  - Arpad: this BIRD seems stable enough
  - Michael M: key IBIS players are already on this phone call
  - The writing of the BIRD has to be crystal clear
  - How do we keep editorial stuff from dragging on?
  - This group should review the BIRD first
- Ambrish: the next open forum meeting might be a couple months away
- Todd we could show the concept presentation Aug 24
  - Bob: we need to show the final product
- Hemant: We should get this reviewed before Aug 24
- Michael M: Many people are busy working on summit presentations now
- Bob: Examples of editorial work needed:
  - Introduction paragraphs
  - Resolve case sensitivity issues
- We will review next Tuesday and decide whether to submit

AR: Michael M tentatively put the BIRD on the open forum agenda

Hemant gave a parameter passing syntax proposal presentation:
- Slide 5:
  - Todd: We are not changing any concepts, only data format
  - Arpad: IBIS does not allow named parameters, only name lists
    - The question is if the values should be in a separate file
- Slide 7:
  - Michael M: is this to avoid adding to the IBIS spec?
  - Michael M: Why is the tree hierarchy necessary?
    - Todd: hierarchy allows name reuse in different sections
  - Ambrish: We would have to translate to hierarchical for the DLL anyway
- Bob: Would this be a separate BIRD?
  - Hemant: No, it would be part of the AMI BIRD
  - Mike S: This will give us a solution for a later general BIRD
  - Michael M: This might be useful for measurement parameters
  - Ambrish: The parser could be contributed to ibischk
- Arpad: IBIS should remain consistent in how external files are used
  - The proposed external parameter file points to the DLL files
    - The external file name will be the based on the model name
  - We may have many external files if pins use different parameters
  - This will not work for AMS
  - The DLL file names could be moved into the IBIS file
    - This would required 2 new keywords
    - Hemant: We could have the DLL file name followed by the param file name
      - Arpad: This would be more compatible with AMS
- Arpad: Will we end up with many data files?
  - Todd: There will be one file for each combination of DLL and params
- Michael M: How do we know if this format can be used for measurements?
  - Todd: Let's try it with some examples
  - Hemant: We can only try so hard to solve all problems
- Should we replace the existing inline param syntax with this format?
- Todd: EDA vendors rejected the idea of passing through unrecognized strings

China summit
- Started with 14 presentations
- 6 are finished
- Need presentations this evening
- Especially need titles
- Some may be rejected based on deadline
- Every presentation between 22 and 24 pages
- Arpad: we need confirmation of acceptance
- It will be necessary to enforce time limits at the conferences
- Todd will have 2 presentations within his 30 minute time slot

Next meeting: 21 Aug 2007 12:00pm PT