[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 1 May 2012 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 17:35:11 -0400

Minutes from the 1 May 2012 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 01 May 2012

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                      Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
Ansys:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                        * Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
LSI Logic:                    Wenyi Jin
Maxim Integrated Products:  * Mahbubul Bari
Mentor Graphics:              John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                * James Zhou
Sigrity:                      Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla

The meeting was lead by Arpad Muranyi

- Arpad: There will be a meeting in Europe on the 15th
  - Bob will be traveling to that
  - We will plan to meet on the 15th

- None

- Bob propose method for parameter passing
  - Bob: This may take a while
    - It may be hard to retrofit AMI style parameters into the existing
structure
  - Arpad: It would help to have any alternatives to BIRD 117 in writing
  - Ambrish: Are AMI style parameters in the IBIS file the only concern?
  - Bob: Not sure exactly what the concern is
    - The tree structure may not be the answer

- Walter/Bob update Table example based on discussion requests
  - Arpad: This should be deleted

- Arpad to propose IBIS spec changes to clarify ISS D2A & A2D interfaces
  - Done, new BIRD proposal

- Arpad revise BIRD 117 and 118 to generalize parameter file references
  - In progress

- Ambrish update BIRD 145 for pad to pin mapping and other clarifications
  - Tabled, waiting for outcome of other issues

BIRD 123.3:
- Walter showed the latest BIRD draft
  - Rx_Clock)Recovery_Dj formula has "2*" because rand() outputs 0.0 - 1.0.
  - If it could be -1.0 to 1.0 it would match peak to peak values.
- David: Is rand() defined?
- Walter showed the definition of rand()
- Walter: It could be -1.0 to 1.0 instead of 0.0 to 1.0
  - This would affect the equation expressions

- David motioned that Arpad and Walter would decide the equation format
- Bob seconded
- No one objected

AR: Arpad and Walter decide on BIRD 123.3 equation formats

- James: gaussian_rand() can go to infinity
  - Do we need to discuss limiting the tails?
- Walter added a sentence about EDA tool handling of gaussian_rand().
- Arpad: We could work on this separately
- Radek: The Open Forum asked us to work on this, we can decide next week

Boundary Definition BIRD draft:
- Arpad: Do we need to define supply terminal characteristics for s-parameters?
- Radek: It's hard to imagine the impact on signal behavior
  - The impedance would not affect the data
- Arpad: Would Touchstone files have power/ground connects to model capacitance?
- Radek: That is not necessary
- Walter: A distributed power network has to get the DC right because there may
be a drop
  - Power to signal coupling is probably more important
  - Touchstone2 was created partly to have different port impedances
  - An ISS subckt with Touchstone would be up to the EDA tool
- James: Agree
  - IBIS should not define what the network looks like
- Arpad: Terminations will be part of an s-parameter model
  - Tools will need to know what is on the power side
- James: Impedance conversion can be done without loss
  - Anything can be connected regardless of what the reference load was
- Ambrish: Why would we have to define the boundary?
- James: For the D2A and A2D it is because we have chosen to do so
- Arpad: We were talking about zeros in the s-params, there were technical
reasons
- Ambrish: The question is if we need to define anything
- James: The D side is within the scope of the spec
  - If we don't define the power supply why define the converters?
- Arpad: We need to convey defaults
- James: That's OK, but the user can choose their own power supply too
- Radek: There should be an option on the voltage source
- Walter: It's that way with the B element
- Bob: In IBIS you can go up to s7p
- Walter: This will be done with external circuits that have B elements
- Bob: That is a theoretical problem, only some vendors will implement it
- Arpad: With ISS we could have an s-param that connects to power and ground
  - Will people know how to generate it and use it?
- Walter: We don't have to do anything special
- Bob: A model has 7 connections but in practice they will not be used
  - Vendors will find a way to handle it
- Arpad: Is this ready to submit to the Open Forum?
- Arpad showed the proposed BIRD, which is quite short.

- Bob motioned to submit the Boundary Definition BIRD to the Open Forum
- Radek seconded
- No one objected

AR: Arpad submit Boundary Definition BIRD to Open Forum

BIRD 150:
- Walter showed BIRD 150 and explained it
- Walter: It would be best if it had a new usage type: (Usage Dependency_Table)
  - Output options are Match, Closest, PWL, Range
  - What if a parameter has a hierarchical name?
    - Should we use dot separators?
    - Should we use parentheses?
    - This is similar to questions about BIRD 117/118
  - This draft uses curly braces for variable substitution
    - These can be nested, at the request of Adge Hawes
  - Recommend scheduling a detailed review time for this
- Arpad: This can be discussed in the next few meetings
  - We should all look at it
  - It is on the Open Forum website

BIRD 121.2:
- Walter showed BIRD 121.2
- Walter: We decided not to have Samples_Per_Bit
  - This adds Supporting_Files, DLL_Path, and DLL_ID
  - Recommend scheduling detailed review time for this
- Arpad: The Open Forum website only has BIRD 121.1

AR: Walter send BIRD 121.2 draft for posting on ATM website

Next meeting: 08 May 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List: