[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 01 Jul 2014 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:28:07 -0400

Minutes from the 01 Jul 2014 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 01 July 2014

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                              Radek Biernacki
Altera:                       David Banas
ANSYS:                      * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Avago (LSI)                   Xingdong Dai
Cadence Design Systems:     * Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
SiSoft:                       Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Synopsys                      Rita Horner
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi.

- None

- None

- None

BIRD 147:
- Arpad: Walter sent an email he wanted to share
- Arpad showed the email
(text of email here)
- Arpad: SiSoft's removal from BIRD 147 is not really new.
  - Is Walter withdrawing his own proposal?
- Todd: Yes
  - We believe co-optimization is about optimizing some system level metric
  - BIRD 147 is about hardware level emulation
  - Our customers optimize thousands of channels on a per channel basis.
- Arpad: It sounds like the proposal is withdrawn due to lack of interest
  - We actually have about 50% interest in it
- Todd: SiSoft has been looking for a broader discussion of optimization, with
less acrimony.
  - Modeling hardware is a valid way to achieve optimization.
  - There are other ways, but we haven't been able to discuss them.
  - BIRD 147 believes it can model the optimization each channel will find.
  - We have other needs but have to be careful how our time is spent.

- Arpad showed a presentation
- slide 2:
  - Arpad: Two IC vendors are important but not here today, Intel and Altera.
- slide 3:
  - Arpad: Here is a high level comparison of the proposals.
  - With BIRD 147 the EDA tool facilitates communication.
    - The .bci file has the communication information.
  - With Walter's proposal the .ami file has the communication information.
    - Those are already passed by the tools.
- slide 4:
  - Arpad: In both proposals the EDA tool passes parameter strings.
    - Both proposals will need BIRD 128.
  - Ambrish: I'm not sure the SiSoft proposal has string passing.
  - Todd: The string to AMI_GetWave is passing information.
    - Arpad is right that passing is needed.
  - Arpad: In both cases the DLL function signature is not changed.
    - With BIRD 147 the EDA tool is only a "mailman".
- slide 5:
  - Arpad: Intel likes the BCI approach because it supports proprietary content.
    - The BCI approach is good because the TX and RX use the same file.
    - Maybe the SiSoft approach could do the same with Model_Specific
parameters.
- slide 6:
  - Arpad: Altera likes not having to recompile the TX with the SiSoft approach.
    - It might be possible if the EDA tool pretended to be the TX.
    - The EDA tool would only know about standard protocols.
    - The SiSoft special AMI parameters could help with this.
- slide 7:
  - Arpad: We need a solution that serves both of these vendors.

- Todd: The two proposals are similar in many ways.
  - We haven't defined the problem well enough.
  - Intel values supporting proprietary protocols.
  - Altera likes supporting legacy models, that could be a requirement or a
goal.
  - The RX could ask for things the TX can't do.
  - Enforcing consistency will be a challenge.
  - We have to ask which co-optimization methods we want to enable.
  - We need to take a step back and prioritize the various needs.
- Ambrish: The problem is well defined.
  - We work with 3 or 4 IP vendors.
  - Our proposal meets their requirements.
  - BIRD 147 is at least a subset of the complete solution.
  - David idea to not change the TX is nice to have, but not high priority.

- Arpad: This presentation is 2 weeks old, not a response to Walter.
  - With Walter withdrawing we have only BIRD 147.
- Todd: Do we just vote on the BIRDs brought to us?
  - Or as a standards body do we solve problems?
  - BIRD 147 might not evolve well to a more general solution.
  - SiSoft believes it is not enough.
- Arpad: should we send BIRD 147 to the Open Forum for a vote?
- Bob: We should hold off, the SiSoft proposal has good points.
  - We should work on the points brought up by Intel and Altera.
  - More discussion would be helpful, currently I'm neutral about this.

- Ambrish: What is needed to complete BIRD 147?
- Bob: I don't know if we can have BCI for co-optimization.
- Arpad: If BIRD 147 is a subset it is therefore incomplete.
- Ambrish: It solves the problems given to us.
- Todd: It does solve the time domain emulation of hardware back-channels.
  - If we are trying to solve co-optimization for buffers that are not designed
to talk to each other,
    do we need to modify the TX and RX have to talk to each other?

- Arpad: We have back-channel setups where the chips optimize each other.
  - Or the EDA tool could be doing it.
- Todd: In either proposal the brains are in the RX.
- Arpad: I thought the SiSoft proposal allowed the tool to be more involved.
- Todd: The RX knows how to optimize itself, and it can view the TX as generic.
  - We only need to abstract the TX operation so the RX understands it.
  - The TX DLL does not need to change, we just describe it.
  - The RX might not call the TX in the language it understands.
  - The wrapper function Walter mentioned would do that.
  - Waiting for steady state after each command could eat up a lot of time.
  - System level statistical should be part of the proposal.
- Arpad: BIRD 147 supports that.
- Todd: It seems to have been tacked on.
- Ambrish: We made a serious effort on that and we know it works.
- Todd: The flow involves calling the model multiple times.
  - That will have a significant impact.
  - It needs to be thought out more and tested.

- Arpad: How do we go forward?
- Todd: We could have a vote.
- Bob: If there is other information we need it should be put on the table.
  - SiSoft's withdrawal takes away one option.
- Arpad: The vote would be to promote BIRD 147 or continue working.

AR: Arpad formulate a vote for next week.

Next meeting: 08 Jul 2014 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives