[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 01 Dec 2009 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:11:55 -0600

Minutes from the 01 Dec 2009 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 01 December 2009

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Adge Hawes, IBM
  Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
  Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  Chris Herrick, Ansoft
  Chris McGrath, Synopsys
* Danil Kirsanov, Ansoft
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Deepak Ramaswany, Ansoft
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
* Eckhard Lenski, Nokia-Siemens Networks
  Eckhard Miersch, Sigrity
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
* Fangyi Rao, Agilent
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, consultant
  Jerry Chuang, Xilinx
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar Keshavan, Sigrity
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
  Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
* Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Pavani Jella, TI
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Komow, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Samuel Mertens, Ansoft
  Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
  Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Kaufer, Mentor Graphics
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
* Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
  Ted Mido, Synopsys
  Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
  Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov, Mentor Graphics
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
  Walter Katz, SiSoft
* Zhen Mu, Mentor Graphics

- Arpad showed a meeting schedule
- No meeting Dec 22 or 29

- No one declared a patent.

- Arpad fix AMI flow slides 4 & 5
  - Done

- Walter send AMI BIRD to Mike L for posting
  - Done

- Arpad modify 10/20/2009 flow to include Use_Init_Output boolean
  - In progress

- Arpad Write a clarification BIRD to discuss accuracy issues related to the
  various AMI clock_tick algorithms in an IBIS-AMI DLL
  - TBD

- Todd: Update the BIRD for IBIS S-parameter box based on feedback from
discussion
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          - [External ...] also?
          - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Arpad showed the changes made to the AMI Flow slides

Arpad showed the new AMI BIRD document:
- It may be impractical to review all 29 pages in the meeting
- Fangyi: Not clear on Tx_Dj page 10
  - What does Rx_Clock_Recovery_Mean mean?
  - Hard to reconcile these two?
  - We spent much more time discussing flows than these parameters
- Bob: Every change is subject to discussion
  - We have agreed to nothing yet
- Arpad: This is the first day we are collecting feedback
  - There may be a wider audience on the email list
- Bob: The main question is the compatibility path from previous versions
- Arpad: Walter said existing models will work with this
- Fangyi: But Tx_Jitter is removed
- Bob: It is deprecated but could still be supported by tools
  - We need to make good arguments for making these changes
- Arpad: We talked about a vendor sub-committee to agree on changes
  - Fangyi: It should include IC vendors
- Bob: I have not seen any IC vendor adoption of the existing spec
  - It is hard for most people to understand the impacts of these changes
- Arpad: Should each change have it's own BIRD?
- Bob: We might call the new one AMJ to leave AMI on the table
  - For example why drop Reserved_Parameters?
  - We have to be careful because we got burned with the first spec
- Mike: To split into multiple BIRDs we would have to identify the
  unrelated parts
- Bob: A single BIRD is ok but it has to be consistent
- Arpad: Only a few on this committee understand AMI well enough or have
  time to read the documents completely
  - Maybe a select group would be better
- Any change has to be explained to this committee
- Arpad: We need concrete suggestion for changes
- Bob: We need to document removed parameters
  - Why remove Model_Specific?
  - Make Description optional throughout
- Mike: Vendors must choose if they will support 5.0 keywords
  - If they don't want to support something they must declare non-support
  - IBIS has been fortunate in not having to deprecate anything yet
  - Web browsers tend to support HTML keywords that are deprecated
- Fangyi: We need to change Init_Returns_Filter in the reference flow
- Bob: Maybe the reference flow should be brought into the documentation
  separately

AR: Mike post questions raised today to our list

Next meeting: 08 Dec 2009 12:00pm PT

--------

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives