[ibis-macro] Minutes from recent ibis-atm meetings

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:39:48 -0500

Minutes from recent ibis-atm meetings are attached.

Meeting date: 06 Nov 2012

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                       David Banas
                              Julia Liu
                              Hazlina Ramly
Andrew Joy Consulting:        Andy Joy
ANSYS:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
                              Steve Pytel
                            * Luis Armenta
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
                              Brad Brim
                            * Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Cavium Networks:              Johann Nittmann
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Maxim Integrated Products:  * Mahbubul Bari
                            * Hassan Raghat
                            * Ron Olisar
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                * James Zhou
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                              Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla
                              Ray Anderson

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Arpad unavailable for the 11/13 meeting.  Since that also coincides with
  the Asian Summit, the group agreed to cancel the meeting on 11/13.

- None

- Arpad to send BIRD 121.2 draft 10 to Mike L. to post on the ATM website:
  - Forgot after last meeting, was not done until this morning.
  - Mike L. not available today so it was not posted.
  - emailed to the group.
  - done

- Fangyi to send "Redriver" BIRD draft and PowerPoint to Mike L. to post
  on the ATM website:
  - done

- Walter and Ambrish to clear up the language of BIRD 150 offline.
  - done

BIRD 121.2 draft 10 (Parameters for Data Management):
- Arpad: Are people ready to comment, or should we postpone the discussion?
- Bob: I have some minor points.
  - Usage Rules for Supporting_Files:
    - States, "... a file definition is redundant ...", but it is legal.
- Arpad: (changing document)
  - new text, "...is legal, but redundant..."
- Bob: Definition for Supporting_Files:
  - Remove "According to the IBIS specification".
- Arpad: done.
- Bob: Same sentence:
  - Make "executable" plural, and change "its" to "their".
- Radek: actually, change "their" to "the".
- Bob: agreed.
- Arpad: done.
- John: Same sentence:
  - Change "defined" to "declared".
- Arpad: done.
- Bob: Usage Rules for Supporting_Files:
  - Remove "for some reason".
- Arpad: done.
- Bob: Example for DLL_Path:
  - The (Value "NA") concerns me because NA has meaning elsewhere.
- Radek: Replace it with (Value "placeholder").
- Ambrish and Bob: agreed.
- Arpad: done.
- Arpad: I will save this as draft 11 and send it to Mike L. to post to the
  ATM website.

Presentation on "Redriver" BIRD draft. (posted to ATM site, see ARs above)
- Mahbubul: Introduction to PowerPoint presentation
  - Mahbubul, Ron, Hassan, Fangyi are collaborators.
- Fangyi: presenting.
  - Redriver background slides
    - Equalizer, no CDR.
    - Nonlinear and Noisy, would break LTI assumption for end-to-end channel.
    - Need to extend existing AMI capabilities.
- Bob: Are Tx and Rx blocks contained in separate IBIS models.
- Fangyi: yes.
- Fangyi: next page (page 3) of presentation
  - Important point is that Tx Model is an analog output circuit, not a
    typical D to A scheme.
- Arpad: If the Rx model generates a clock ticks array it is to be ignored?
- Fangyi: yes.
- Arpad: Repeaters with a CDR exist in practice, how are they handled?
- Fangyi: We define that as a "Retimer" not a "Redriver".
- Ambrish: The example shows a "Terminator" model for the Rx?  Illegal?
- Fangyi: Yes, that should be "Input".
  - We have a BIRD draft to make "Terminator" legal.
- Dan and Bob: Are these flagged as "Redrivers" in the .ibs file?
- Fangyi: No.
- Fangyi: next page - Simulation Flow Diagram.
- Ambrish: Are there any differences between these and a regular AMI file.
- Fangyi: Only difference is that Tx output analog model is not a D to A.
- Fangyi: The EDA tool provides a method for importing a "Redriver".
  - The user imports the [Model]s into the "Redriver" device.
- Kumar: The repeater pin premise (BIRD 131) is more general.
- Ambrish: The user figuring out what a "Redriver" model is seems redundant.
- Walter: We have "Redriver" and BIRD 131's "Repeater".
  - What's the difference between these proposals?
- Fangyi: The simulation flow is more detailed.
- Walter: Agreed, Agilent's flow is more specific.
- Walter: Does this generalize to multiple repeater packages?
- Ambrish: Agree with Walter.
  - Modify the simulation flow of BIRD 131 based on this presentation.
- Walter:  This "Redriver" is constrained to analog only Tx.
  - There are repeater devices out there that use digital clocks.
  - The same model maker is the doing Tx and Rx sides.
    - Why not generalize this so model maker can do either type (of Tx).
- Fangyi: The signal that drives the Tx is different in a "Retimer".
- Walter: Redriver has a true analog waveform.
  - If Rx has a clock, the only difference is the waveform going to Tx
    goes from + or - 0.5V.
  - Redriver - Rx returns analog.
  - Retimer - Rx returns "digital."  Jitter parameters would apply.
- Fangyi: With Retimer you need not use the Rx output waveform at all.
- Kumar: Repeater pin is more general.
  - It just says left side, right side.
- Walter: I think we have something of a consensus on a good combination:
  - Simulation flow of this proposal should be combined with BIRD 131.
- Ambrish: It's not necessary for that much detail in the flows.
- Walter: disagree
  - Useful to show output of Rx GetWave is input to Tx GetWave.
- Walter: I think the flows should use the terminology from IBIS 5.1.
  - See page 162 in IBIS 5.1.
- Fangyi: Which terminology is not consistent with 5.1?
- Walter: (asks Fangyi to share the BIRD itself)
  - hAC1, for example, that terminology did not make it into 5.1.
  - I think the wording is fine, but we need to be consistent.
  - I like this terminology, but we should be consistent.
- Arpad: He's distinguishing between two outputs with hAC1 and hAC2.
  - Isn't the hAC already consistent with 5.1?
- Walter: I don't think it made it into 5.1.
  - I think we agree that we need consistent terminology.
- Fangyi: Agreed.
- Arpad: Can we make it an AR to combine BIRD 131 and this proposal?
- Ambrish: Please include me in the discussions.
- Fangyi: Maxim and Agilent will discuss this first.
  - They will then contact Walter and Ambrish.
- Arpad: Okay then, we're about out of time.  Any last comments?
- Arpad: Next week's meeting is canceled.

New ARs:

AR: Arpad to send the new draft 11 of BIRD 121.2 to Mike L. to post to the ATM
website.
AR: Fangyi, Mahbubul, et. al., to discuss merging their "Redriver" proposal
with BIRD 131.
AR: Fangyi, Mahbubul, et. al., contact Walter and Ambrish for further BIRD 131
discussions.

-------------
Next meeting: 20 Nov 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

-------------
IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives

IBIS Macromodel Task Group

Meeting date: 16 Oct 2012

[...]
Sigrity:                      Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla
                              Ray Anderson

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Fangyi: There is a conference next week
  - Should we meet?
- Arpad: I will be there, but we still could meet
- We will meet next week

- None

- Walter & Arpad determine latest BIRD 121 draft number
  - Done

- Walter & Arpad clear up BIRD 121 draft language
  - In progress

- Walter & Ambrish clean up BIRD 150
  - In progress

- Walter update BIRD 123
  - The latest is posted on the website
  - Radek planned to check the clock PDF section

Interconnect Task Group report
- Walter: The meeting tomorrow will be interesting

Arpad: Ambrish requested time to discuss BIRD 147

BIRD 121:
- Arpad: The question on whether to have trailing backslash remains
- John: We should always add a trailing slash
- Mike: That would preclude relative paths
- John: A path ending in ./ will work
- Walter: There are 3 options regarding back and forward slashes
- Walter added language regarding use of "." for relative paths
- Mike: DLL_Path is not stored in files, it is dynamically generated
  - It should be in the format for the current OS
- Walter: Back slashes are a problem because they can be escaped out
- Mike: Should we rule out UNC paths, which begin with 2 backslashes?
- James: We should have a rule that the path is valid for the platform
- Arpad: Is the added sentence OK?
- John: It should state exactly that it should be '.'
- Bob: Is backslash allowed?
- Arpad: No
- Bob: This has to be compatible with AMI file checking
- Radek: This does not reside in the AMI file
- Fangyi: This parameter is not required
  - What do DLLs do if it is absent?
- John: It should be provided if the DLL needs to find supporting files
- Ambrish: There is a Supporting_Files parameter proposed
- Walter: Supporting_Files may not all be needed by the model
  - They could be Touchstone files needed for channel simulation
  - There could be files for backchannel
- Ambrish: These should not be defined in the AMI file then
- John: This is tangential to whether DLL_Path is required
- Arpad: If the parser can't check DLL_Path, why bother?
- Walter: IBIS somehow has to provide for copying all required supporting files
- Ambrish: An AMI model can be run without package models
- Walter: We should not be deciding when DLL_Path is required
- Mike: If DLLs can't count on DLL_Path being provided they will not use it
- Walter: It should not be required if it is not needed
  - Most DLLs may not need it
- Mike: It is not hard to always provide DLL_Path
- Walter: The model will request it by asking for an In parameter
- Ambrish: If the parser can't check it it will be ignored
- Radek: I agree with Walter
- Walter: This will be posted as revision 9
- Mike: Two revisions held by Walter have not been posted
  - The last posted was 6 and this will be 7
- Arpad: The last one should be fixed if it say rev 8 inside

AR: Walter send BIRD 121.2 draft 7 to Mike for posting
AR: Mike check BIRD 121.2 draft 6 for correct numbering inside

Walter: I have sent a BIRD for assigning labels to lists

-------------
Next meeting: 23 Oct 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

-------------
IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives

IBIS Macromodel Task Group

Meeting date: 23 Oct 2012

[...]

  - Done, draft 8

- Mike check BIRD 121.2 draft 6 for correct numbering inside
  - Fixed

- Walter & Ambrish clean up BIRD 150
  - In progress

- Walter update BIRD 123
  - Walter: Radek planned to check the clock PDF section
  - Radek: In 5.0 we had the RjDj option, should be included here
  - Walter's motion to submit the BIRD was delayed

- Interconnect task group report:
- Walter: Last week was mostly a presentation by me
  - There has been an email thread about what can be in a package
  - We might make part of the model dependent of the die, part on the package

Arpad showed BIRD 121.2 draft 8:
- Arpad: Bob had asked for a change to the description field
  - Added clarification "current working directory of DLL process"
- Ambrish: The description needs to be fixed to "where the DLL is located"
- Arpad made the change
- John: We should be clear that it is a process running the DLL
- Bob: Do we have to spell out which Supporting_Files are files and directories?
- Mike: The tool can figure that out easily
- Arpad: We should be clear about forward and backward slashes
- Radek: It does not say if the path
- John: The contents of directories should be copied
- Ambrish: That should be documented
- Bob: We need to say if paths are allowed
- Walter: We would not allow paths to items in subdirectories
- Radek: We should allow that
- Arpad: We should say that a subdirectory item in a copied directory just
copies the directory

AR: Walter add slash and directory clarifications to BIRD 121.2

Walter motioned to submit the BIRD 123 update in current form to Open Forum:
- Arpad: There have been no recent changes
- Radek seconded the motion
- Arpad showed the BIRD
- Ambrish: Is numeric literal correct?
- Bob: Default is optional
- No one objected to the motion

AR: Arpad send BIRD 123 draft 5 to Open Forum

BIRD 150 was tabled

Arpad: Fangyi mentioned repeaters
  - We will schedule time for his proposal

Ambrish showed Back-Channel Support BIRD draft 3:
- Ambrish: This is now in the IBIS 5.1 document format
  - It proposes the "Bits" type
  - It has Training and Backchannel_Protocol parameters in the .ami file
  - A number of other parameters are defined for the .bci file
- Bob: The Format of Training_Done is not right
  - It should not have a Default
  - Description has to be a string
- Mike: Is the .bci file written incrementally?
- Ambrish: It is written once
- Walter: It is read-only, supplied with the AMI file
- Bob: Does the .bci file have a version number?
- Ambrish: It could have [BCI Version]
- Walter described IBIS spec update scenarios
  - It probably would be best to have [BCI Version]
- Ambrish: I will add this
- Walter: There are industry standards for backchannel protocol
  - We should have real examples to work with
- Ambrish: There may be issues getting this from an IC vendor
- Alfred: I might be able to create an example
- Radek: We should allow newer .bci files with older .ami files
- Walter: The protocol could specify things only the tool needs to know

Arpad: We should finish the two BIRDs in progress then focus on backchannel

-------------
Next meeting: 23 Oct 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

-------------
IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives

IBIS Macromodel Task Group

Meeting date: 30 Oct 2012

[...]

Arpad: Should we cancel Nov 13 due to summit travel?
- Bob: No one from this group will be traveling
- We decided not cancel

Arpad: Should we cancel Nov 27 and Dec 3 due to holidays?
- We decided not cancel

- None

- Walter add slash and directory clarifications to BIRD 121.2
  - Done

- Walter & Ambrish clean up BIRD 150
  - In progress

- Walter and Arpad update BIRD 123

Interconnect Task Group report:
- Arpad: There was no meeting

Arpad: Should we discuss the new repeater BIRD while Fangyi and Mahbubul
are both here?
- Mahbubul: It would be better to have time to prepare
  - An update could be sent ahead of next week
- Ambrish: Is this BIRD different from what we have?
- Fangyi: It is a new BIRD
- Arpad congratulated Fangyi on his EPEP best paper award

AR: Fangyi and Mahbubul send presentation to Mike for posting

BIRD 121.2:
- Arpad showed BIRD 121.2 draft 9:
- Radek: It may be missing part of the end
- Arpad: I will check
- Arpad: Parts of "Supporting_Files" are under Definition and other parts
  under Usage Rules.
- John: The directory of the IBIS file is ruled out for Supporting_Files?
- Arpad: That was not intended
- Walter: That sentence was added to prevent adding unknown files
- Arpad: You don't have to use dot, the files can be added by name.
- John: Not sure dot should be prohibited
- Arpad: It could be dot slash
- Ambrish: There could be tons of files there
- Mike: The IBIS and AMI files would have to not be double copied
- Arpad: Should wildcards allowed?
- Mike: That might make it too easy to copy unintended files
  - It would be best for the parameter to list all files explicitly
- Bob: Should the parser disallow asterisk?
- Radek: There could be cross OS issues
- Arpad: If a model is for one OS it should be safe to use a wildcard
- Mike: The rules for Perl globbing are platform independent
- Walter: We should keep it simple
  - Either say nothing or disallow wildcards
- Arpad: It would be better to disallow
- Arpad added a clause prohibiting wildcards
- Ambrish: The characters are actually allowed in file names
- Mike: We might say "there is no expectation of wildcard expansion"
- A sentence was formulated

- Bob: Is the sentence disallowing "." sufficient?
- John: A directory could be ".mydir"
- Bob: Should we exclude names beginning with '..'?
- Walter: The intent was to support current directory and below
- Ambrish: How does the model maker know what is around the directory?
- John: These files might be somewhere down a directory tree of files
- Ambrish: The AMI file is supposed to be at the top
- Arpad: We could change the language to disallow copying the full
  DLL_Path directory
- John: We can make it explicit that files must be same directory or below
- Arpad: Matlab might require files that are up and over
- Walter: Environment variables can be used for that
  - We could specify the names of those
- Ambrish: That is OS specific
- Mike: Is it clear that the files have to be copied to the same tree structure?
- Arpad: There is a sentence covering that
- Walter: This is an issue for all of IBIS
  - Every IBIS file has an implicit list of supporting files
  - It is assumed that they are in the same directory
- Arpad: This file will be posted for review
  - Hopefully we can vote on it next week

AR: Arpad send updated BIRD 121.2 to Mike for posting

Next meeting: 6 Nov 2012 12:00pm PT