[ibis-macro] Minutes for the 12 May 2009 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:14:51 -0400

Minutes for the 12 May 2009 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 12 May 2009

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Adge Hawes, IBM
  Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  Chris McGrath, Synopsys
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Deepak Ramaswany, Ansoft
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Eckhard Lenski, Nokia-Siemens Networks
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Fangyi Rao, Agilent
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, Agilent
  Jerry Chuang, Xilinx
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar Keshavan, Sigrity
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Pavani Jella, TI
* Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Samuel Mertens, Ansoft
  Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
  Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
  Ted Mido, Synopsys
  Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
  Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
  Zhen Mu, Cadence Design Systems

Arpad: Do we have a list of all elements?
- Walter: Forgot to do that, will get to it

- No one declared a patent.

- Mike L add wishlist to minutes
  - Done, but there is only one item

- Todd: Write IBIS s-param BIRD
  - Still working on it

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          - [External ...] also?
          - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Continued review of IBIS-IS documents:

Walter: We are still missing documents for the V and T elements

E element:
- Walter: We could remove MAX, MIN, SCALE, TC1, TC2, ABS, IC
  - Mike L: Should there be a GAIN= param as with R=, C= ?
    - Walter: HSPICE doesn't have it
  - Arpad: We could retain TC1 and TC2 because they are linear
    - Maybe TC2 is not linear
    - Radek: These are based on a TEMP parameter, which we don't have
    - Walter: A post-processor could calculate these into the gain
- Mike L: Why does LAPLACE have no [] if [VCVS] does?
  - Walter: VCVS is optional, LAPLACE is required
- Walter: Examples for POLE were left in, not deleted
- Mike L: It says "You can use parameters to specify a, b, alpha, and f"
  - It is not clear what named parameters these are
  - Walter: May have deleted too much documentation
  - Radek: az1 is the positional parameter "alpha z1"
  - Arpad: The command syntax has to be ASCII, so it doesn't have "alpha"
- Walter deleted LEVEL from the parameter table

F element:
- Walter: This is like the E element, but with no LAPLACE or POLE

G element:
- Mike L: We can drop SCALE=
- Walter deleted SCALE from the parameter table

H element:
- Walter: Only the simple linear form is supported

Mike L: Will we re-insert all the examples and such that were deleted?
- Walter: This is good enough for EDA tools to know what to support

Arpad: We had talked about hiring an editor, how do we proceed?
- Mike L: Where would the funding come from?
  - Arpad: We can ask the IBIS Open Forum
  - Walter: We should show the integrated document to the Open Forum
- Arpad: An integrated document would give a better idea of what it looks like
  - Maybe we would not need an editor if it looks good enough
- Bob: We could add "Refer to the HSPICE documentation for complete
descriptions"
  - We may have to describe TEMP if needed, for example
- Bob: The language syntax document could become large
- Mike L: Do we know when we will receive that from Synopsys?
  - Walter: We have seen those pages, so we are not stuck
- Bob: We might get away with describing only the elements
  - Arpad: The spec should stand alone, without external references

Walter showed a T element document that he created from PDF
- Walter: We could use this, but would prefer a document from Synopsys
- Arpad: It would be better to proofread when it is put together
- Bob: The document should be organized like HSPICE chapters

Mike L: Since IBIS-IS is for interconnect modules we do not need .END
- Walter: Agree
- Mike L: We had discussed .INCLUDE but did we decide to have it?
  - Walter: That would be useful
- Bob: There should be no elements in the main circuit
  - .SUBCKT is required
  - Arpad: This would have to be in the rules section
- Arpad: .INCLUDE would be handy for inserting vias, etc.
- Mike L: Is .INCLUDE in HSPICE an "include once"?
  - Walter: No, it always includes
  - Mike L: Multiple .INCLUDEs could create duplicate element problems
  - Walter: There is no conflict when called from different SUBCKTs
- Walter: We should not have .LIB because it is somewhat simulator-specific

T element:
- Walter: Do we want to assume L=1 or support L= ?
  - The TD parameter is in units of L, but people assume TD is time
- Bob: We should do whatever HSPICE supports
- Walter: HSPICE does support this
- Radek: It doesn't make sense to support 2 different methods
- We will keep the L= parameter

Walter: For those who will be in the Interconnect meeting tomorrow:
- Port information is not in the TOUCHSTONE2 file format
- We are delivering S param models for packages and such
- Wrappers are needed for these
- This may come up in the Interconnect meeting

There are 4 or 5 pages left to review next week

Next meeting: 17 May 2009 12:00pm PT

--------

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives