[ibis-macro] Re: Making IBIS responsive to the modeling needs of the industry ... new keyword [Specification]

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:49:28 -0800

Walter,

In general, this [Specification] proposal looks very much like
IBIS-AMI, adding one simple keyword to IBIS and do the rest outside.
In the case of AMI, we wrote a whole new specification to describe
what AMI actually is, describing parameters, the format of the
parameter files, etc...  I feel we will need to do the same in
this case too.  Otherwise how would a tool know how to parse the
content of the file that [Specification] points to.

So while this seems to be an easy fix in the IBIS specification,
I don't see any reduction of work, because somewhere it must be
defined what the file contains and what its syntax is.  Or did I
miss something?

Another topic:  This proposal is yet another example, where we are
diverting things from the IBIS specification to some other, external
file or specification.  If we keep this trend up, there will be
nothing left in IBIS itself, except a bunch of pointers.  This
makes me wonder again about the conversation we are doing on the
overhauling of IBIS...  Any comments?