[ibis-macro] Link Optimization BIRDs

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:19:31 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I am enclosing the two BIRDs that I discussed in today's ATM meeting.

They are mostly in BIRD format, but there is a lot of explanatory stuff
that may be re-organized into a separate document, so there will be lots
of editorial work to be done.

The BIRD the EDA tool needs to understand is LinkTraining_BIRD_Rev1.docx.
It describes the new reserved parameters and the flows that the EDA tool
needs to support. This BIRD is totally independent of the protocol, which
describes the content of the BCI branch that the Tx and Rx DLL's put into
the AMI_parameters_out branch and the DLL's put into the AMI_parameters_in
branch that get put into the subsequent Rx and Tx DLL calls.

The model writer needs to understand the content of these BCI branches for
any specific protocol (private, public, or IBIS approved). The IBIS
approval process is the standard BIRD process. I am also enclosing a BIRD
for a BCI protocol I have named "Basic"
(Basic_Protocal_Pidgeon_Rev1.docx). For amusement purposes I am calling
Back Channel Protocols "Pigeons", with the mascot Back Cap'd Pigeon.

If a protocol name ends in .bci, then there should exist a .bci file that
both the Tx and Rx DLL can read (as requested by Ken at the IBIS summit),
but as I have written in LinkTraining_BIRD_Rev1.docx there is no
requirement that a protocol ends in .bci and therefor protocol can be
written without a .bci file.

I think that the "Basic" protocol BIRD that I am submitting, along with
the LinkTraining_BIRD_Rev1.docx describes a protocol that includes all of
the functionality requested for Rx models in BIRD 147. The key difference
is that there is no requirement for specifying specific stimulus patterns.
It has also been clear from talking to vendors of Tx AMI models that they
can easily write Tx DLL's to support the full "Basic" protocol, while
vendors of Rx AMI models may choose to support only subsets of the "Basic"
protocol.

Note that if a Tx models supports the "Basic" protocol, or any other IBIS
approved protocols, there is nothing that prevents and EDA tool from
trying to optimize the Tx directly.

Also note that I have not included any description of a Meta file that
would allow an EDA tool from optimizing a legacy Tx model. I will leave
that to others to propose such a file.

My observations from today's meeting is that there was a request to create
a new AMI_Impulse function to handle statistical communications between
the Tx and Rx.

I will not be able to attend next Tuesday's meeting, so e-mail comments in
the meantime will be very much appreciated.

<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

Phone 303.449-2308